SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
candler_gw

Do I Need A Newer CD Drive

candler
14 years ago

I have a Dell Dimension 4600, XP, SP3, 1.2GB RAM, AVG. I bought it August 22, 2003. I've had more trouble with my system in the past four months than I have had since 2003.

It seemed to have coincided with the time I downloaded IE8. I had been runing the IE8 beta for more than a year. After hours on the phone I finally deleted IE8 and went back to IE7.

The latest problem is when I bought a program called Isaac Asimov's Planetarium. It claims to work with XP, Vista, etc. I've checked a dozen of my other CD programs and they will load and run. This one will not. It goes blank. None of the normal processes for getting it to run don't work. The disk is simply not recognized.

Office Depot put it on one of their new computers. It works.

Another irritating problems is that windows only come up half screen and I have to click enlarge. I use to never have to do this. I've followed some your leads like exiting from the file menu with no help.

Do you suppose the stealthy computer demons are trying to tell me to get another computer . Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks, Gene

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths