SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
criticalmass048

I think my hard drive is shot

criticalmass048
14 years ago

I've had an external hard drive for a few years now. All of a sudden, accessing the drive became a real chore for the computer. It would sometimes take forever to access it, and then when I tried to close the My Computer window, I would get a "Not Responding" Error.

When I was finally able to get access to it, I knew I had to copy anything over that I could. I was able to copy some stuff, but my biggest folder -- the one with all my MP3s in it -- is missing. It just plain won't show up in the directory.

A friend suggested I try a recovery program. He loaned me a disk (I forget what it was called now), but when I booted the computer and ran the darned software, after 4 hours of "scanning my hard drive" it gave me some kind of error, telling me it couldn't do anything until I upgraded the firmware.

The files aren't important enough to pay someone to look at the hard drive, but on the other hand I could save days' worth of time if I could get into it. I know that the information is still there, and that probably the directory is just out of whack. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments (6)