SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eleeny_gw

Installing towel bars into tile

eleeny
14 years ago

How hard is it to install towel bars, hooks, and tissue holders into marble or porcelain tiles?

Sorry for the long post, but here's my problem -- I have very little knowledge of building & construction. We are purchasing a newly-built house (already built). The builder has agreed to install the towel bars etc. for us before closing if we purchase them ourselves. However, it seems like his workmanship is deteriorated ever since we went under contract; he's probably hiring cheaper labor now... Numerous outlet covers, switch plates, & vent covers are slightly askew, as are some of the kitchen appliances he's installed recently.

Previously I was happy to have him install the towel bars etc. because the bathrooms have floor-ceiling tiles (some ceramic, some marble) and I was afraid that the typical handyman that I hire may not know how to do it properly and might crack the tiles, causing me even more trouble to repair. However, now I'm afraid the builder will hang them all slightly crooked!

So I was wondering if anyone can help me understand just how hard this task is? How risky is it in cracking tiles? Are there handyman-companies I can hire that carry insurance and will repair any tiles that they crack? If I'm the employer, then at least I can be there to make sure they're straight. Any idea how much something like this might cost for 4 baths? Or should I just let the builder do it, and take the risk that they may end up being crooked?

Thanks in advance for helping to clarify this situation for me!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES