SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olychic

shower drain not centered?

olychic
14 years ago

I am just starting a 2nd floor master bath remodel. When the plumber cut into the subflooring to see how the former plumbing was routed, it was discovered that one of the floor i beams had been cut (it is just hanging, only attached to sheetrock below) to allow the shower drain to be where it was. The new shower will be 48" square interior dimension and the plumber says there is no way to center the drain. I can't remember if it won't be centered left to right, or back to front so have to ask again when he arrives this a.m. I don't know if it has to do also with the place the drain goes thru the downstairs walls or not.

Since there is going to be either a highly decorative 1" ceramic tile on the shower floor, or combo of that tile in some kind of border on the floor with a less slippery (the mosaic has small grout lines)porcelain tile in the center and on the rest, the fact that it won't be centered is making me have an anxiety attack! Especially since the gc just relocated the back wall studs to allow the niches to be centered. Should I insist he figure out how to center it, or is that simply impossible sometimes? I can't imagine the nightmare for the tile setter. Is there ever a way to use a rectangular drain cover to hide the off center problem ? He said it would be a couple of inches.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (18)