SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marthavila_gw

Aga 6-4: Please tell me what you really know about it

marthavila
16 years ago

Cpovey and all others who either own or have had direct experience with the Aga 6-4: Would you please, please, please speak your mind regarding the pros and cons of this range? For the past several weeks, I've been on a virtual roller coaster over whether or not to buy the 6-4 as a replacement for my antique range (a 6-burner, double oven jewel that was manufactured by Vulcan in the 1920's).

While there's no question I LOVE the way the 6-4 looks, I also can't bring myself to make a range purchase (especially one in this price bracket) on the basis of looks alone. All of my friends -- none of whom have any direct experience or knowledge of 6-4 -- think I've lost my mind to even consider purchasing it. After all, it's so unlike anything in their own kitchens! On the other hand, I've got all the Aga sales people swearing that I will die and go to heaven if I bring this range home with me. At this point, I'm in a total tizzy over what to do. I'm now desperately seeking some credible, tried and true advice about the merits or pitfalls of the Aga 6-4 from people who actually know what they are talking about and who have nothing to gain from my purchase decision. That said, any and all advice, tips, encouragement or warnings would be truly appreciated, including some responses to these specific questions:

Some critics claim that the Aga 6-4 looks great but performs below the par of other pro style ranges. Do you agree?

Are you aware of any specific function problems with Aga 6-4? Does your own 6-4 have a repair history?

Do you find cooking on this range to be considerably different than that of others, e.g. Wolf, Bluestar, Viking, etc? Did you have to adjust your cooking style in order to match how this range functions? If so, was it a steep learning curve? How did you do it? Trial and error? Classes? Aga cook books?

If you currently own this range and had it to do all over again, would you? If not, what would you buy instead and why?

And, if you think the Aga 6-4 is the best thing since sliced bread, tell me all about it!

Thanks!

Comments (7)