SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
downtowner_gw

Downtown NYC High End Meditative Spa Bath

downtowner
15 years ago

I posted this in the Galleries, but thought it might be of general interest.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for occasional advice, especially Flyleft, who once called me "Downer," Bill, Mongo and the gang.

DW was kind enough to forego a dressing room to let me have the no-expense-or-effort-spared bathroom of my dreams. I am nothing but grateful, but the structural repairs alone took 5 months.

Out in the heartland I suppose a 19'x13' bath is for the servants, but here in downtown NYC, that's a lot of real estate. But it does give us room for a garden, a floating bench, a Kneipp hose, three illuminated shower heads in an open shower, a laundry chute, self-designed twin pullout linen closets with Haefele hardware, a Neorest toilet, a sculptural stainless magazine rack, unique Loewen Access windows, a swingout electric towel warmer, custom Blum tandembox drawers for storage, a 6 foot drawer next to the tub, chromatherapy, water jets, air jets, custom floating corian vanity sink with storage, Swiss contemporary commercial faucets, two Velux automatic skylights with two automatic shades in a square and a round opening, nine different kinds of lighting, two exhaust vents, heated floors, motorized window shades, 4 custom sliding doors, 2 custom pocket doors, 24" x 24" Italian ceramic tile, an illuminated 6'long Boffi mirror, a 120 gallon square tub with a raised surround, and quiet space to dream in the heart of the City.

The inspiration was this design done for Dornbracht's Mem line of fixtures, called the Spirit of Water:

{{gwi:1385126}}

Ours is not quite so spare and elegant, I'm afraid it was impossible to sink the tub to floor level in a house nearly 200 years old:

The list of things we put in this bath does seem a bit excessive when put into a bare list, but life does keep one humble. An inebriated young lady at a party this summer pointed to my wife's storage and said: "Herbal Essence! Such a low end shampoo in such a high end bathroom."

There are also a few photos of our guest basement bath here:

http://www.pbase.com/fdobbs/basement_renovation

Comments (17)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH