SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

Dell inspiron8200 fan at startup?

chas045
12 years ago

I have a used dell inspiron 8200 (approx 2002 vintage?)that I have had for ~ a month (I had been using an older dell laptop 4000? for the internet for a year before that. The fans on the newer laptop were certainly audible and they certainly come off and on repeatedly for as long as the machine is on. I was also under the impression that they came on at startup.

My impression derived from the fact that I was startled or alerted a week ago when I felt something was wrong or broken as I pushed the startup button, because all was quiet. I realized the fan wasn't running and I imediately shut the machine down. I subsequently tried startups, listening for the fan and letting things run for a minute, but the fan didn't come on.

The fact that neither fan ran, made me worried that some controller was failing, but I could find nothing about it. I decided to replace the fan which is quite an undertaking, but as far as I can tell, I succeded. HOWEVER, I still don't have a fan at startup. I have run the machine for a couple of minutes running EXCEL. Since this machine is used, I don't have Dell's diagnostics disk. There is a short diagnostic routine in startup/f2 that the machine passed.

I am wondering if you all have any experience in this area. I am aware that there are supposed to be heat sensors that will slow the processor down and shut it down if necessary, but I would prefer not to fry things in the process.

Comments (5)