SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Need help for my husband about his laptop with Vista

lynnalexandra
15 years ago

Well - I can no longer stand to hear my husband complain about his Vista without trying to do something about it. So I'm going to try to get him the answers he needs.

A year ago he bought a Toshiba Satellite laptop with Vista home edition. He's impulsive and wanted a new laptop with 160 GB hard drive - and just went to Best Buy and got one. I, on the other hand, also know nothing about computers, but I'm compulsive and would do research first. Now he is very sorry he has Vista - and he's thinking of dumping this 1 yo old computer that cost him well over $1200 - to get a mac or new Dell laptop with Windows xp. He hates Vista bc. it sometimes shuts down completely when he's in the middle of something - and he loses everything he's been working on. Is this an inevitable problem with Vista?

My husband is also a very accomplished guitarist - and for his birthday I bought him Protools so he could start recording his music. He's a bit tech-intimidated about learning the system. But more than that, he said that he doesn't want to start learning and recording on his current laptop bc. he said he couldn't bear it if the computer shut down in the middle of his recording/mixing something and he lost what he was doing.

We asked our computer repair guy (who has his own biases and difficulty being clear) - whether he could either install XP (and delete Vista) - or install XP - keep the Vista on - and just use XP. His answer was very vague. Basically, he said it would cost for his time, the XP software - and that it might or might not work. I am really hoping that there is more wisdom and clarity here about that issue. Can my husband get XP on his computer (either with or without deleting Vista) and be sure of it working? What are the ways it might not work?

I know you'll want to know what he's using. I'm pretty sure it's a duo core processor - probably 2 GB RAM, 160gb hard drive. He is on our wireless home network - and the rest of us have XP.

Any help would be appreciated - before he goes out and spends another $1000-2000 because he doesn't think he can get a clear answer or use his current laptop.

Thanks so much.

Lynn.

PS - I have been suggesting to him for months that he join here and ask - but he hasn't done it - so I want to get him past this hurdle.

Comments (11)