PC with W2K dead?

leftwood
15 years ago

Gateway model NOCPP063

Windows 2K prof sp4

pentium 4 1400mHz

ram about750+ MB

Reformatted harddrive 2 months ago

There have been a few times in the last month (since I received this old PC) that I have had trouble booting up after closing down normally. When this happens, nothing would show on the screen, not even the intial Gateway emblem. I have had to reboot multiple times to get it to come up, or unplug everything and let it set to reset(I assume) and plug back in.

Now this last time, when trying to boot up after closing down normally, I got only the pic below on my screen and nothing else. I have never seen this before, and the Gateway pc went no further in booting up. I have had no success booting up the pc since, attempting 10-15 times. I also unplugged everything (even the phone) and let it sit for 2 days before restarting. Tried the 2 day scenario again, but still no go. The screen showed as the pic below only once. Thereafter, there has been nothing, not even a cursor dash (just as before). One difference I did notice was before the color strips, the pc would check both the CD disc drive and the floppy disc drive (as indicated by the green lights blinking). After the color stripes, it checks only the CD disc drive.

I took the HD out of the Dell pc I am using now with WinMe, and replaced the Win2K HD in the Gateway with it. (Both pc's have only one HD.) The same result (nothing) occurred.

I took the Win2K HD and put it in the older Dell machine. The Win2K OS started loading(I think), as indicated on the black screen, but did not continue. I am thinking the Bios on that Dell (optplex GX1,pentium III 550mhz,700+mb ram) won't support the win2K OS?

So I am thinking the problem with the Gateway is hardware? Fans are running and nothing is warm. I wish I had more clues here . . . .

Any insight on my problem?

Rick

Comments (8)