SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tabbaldwin

sod installed last Aug. at house dead/dying

tracey_b
12 years ago

Our sod (fescue) was installed late last August at the new house. Where the ground was worked (grading, etc.), the sod is doing okay, but where they put it on hard-packed clay (we live near Raleigh, NC), it's dead or dying. It's a 1.5-acre lot and the dead stretch is between a tree-filled natural area (in front of the house) and the street. All they did here was scrape away the weeds before laying the sod. A few strips of the sod died before winter, and now the rest looks like crap. We DO have an irrigation system, and we've been using it--often every day in these dry areas (and starter fertilizer was applied in spring).

My question is, does the builder have any responsibility in helping rectify this? Short of laying new sod, we thought we'd wait until fall and aerate then bring in a couple of loads of topsoil/compost and top-dress the whole yard and over-seed.

I'm just sick that I didn't demand the soil at least be "disturbed" before sodding. But I kept hearing "it'll be okay" from everyone. I didn't know much about clay soil back then, but boy I'm learning now....

Thanks.

Tracey

Comments (6)