SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

Help, Ditra didn't set down as intended. What to do?

enduring
11 years ago

I mixed Ditra-Set with H2O, to a what I thought was a relatively loose mixture. 1/3 of a bag with 2 quarts of H2O. I had watched the Ditra Videos ad nauseam. I let the mixture slack for 15 min then stirred briefly again. I keyed in the thin set to the surface (SLC). Then I tried to notch it with my V notch 1/4x3/16" trowel that was recommended. I noticed that there was some rubbing off of the thin set. So I tried to keep my angle bigger so I wouldn't rake it too shallow. I set the Ditra and rubbed hard all over with my grout float to set the Ditra into the thin set. I pulled up a corner and only 75% of it was in contact with thin set. I pulled it up and applied more. I finally got that area fairly well and as I continued I thought I was going to be OK. But the other end wasn't set either. I tried to add more thin set there too. I rubbed and rubbed the float with all my might. I pulled up the other end and only about 75% was in contact. Mind you this was only one 7' strip. CRAP. My thin set was getting dry. I pulled it all up and scrapped all the thin set off.

Questions:

1) What did I do wrong?

2) Was I supposed to wet down my SLC so that the thin set wouldn't dry out too quickly?

3) Do I need to use a larger notched trowel?

This was supposed to be the easiest part of the tile job!

I don't suppose anyone could tell me if I can reuse the Ditra piece I washed really well. It is hanging to dry as I write this.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!