SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mizzm_gw

Range Hood Hell - Please help!

mizzm
11 years ago

Choosing most of the appliances for my kitchen remodel was easy, thanks primarily to everyone on this forum. Thank you so much!

But I am stuck in range hood hell and despite having gone through pages of back questions, remain there. Can you please pull me out?

Here are my (seemingly simple) criteria:

1) Quietest possible

2) Good-quality

3) Strong enough to suck up the grease from my 36" Blue Star Range with a grill option. I plan to use the grill and have been told that if I don't get the range hood right, I will be in kitchen-grease hell.

4) Slimline box shape (the ones that look like rectangles with the chimneys parallel)

5) Easy to clean

Currently, the remodel design is the have the range up against a wall with the hood (but no cabinet) above it, and two windows (no cabinets) on either side.

So my preference is to get a 36" hood. If I *have* to shrink the windows to accommodate a 42" hood I will - but I would love to know whether I could get away with a 36" hood without entering the aforementioned hell.

I don't need a vanity brand at all, and would prefer to spend less rather than more, but am happy to pay what I need to in order to get what I want - the quietest possible good-quality hood that can handle grill grease.

Ok, maybe my criteria are not that simple, now that I see what I've written.....

Basically, I'm looking for the Electrolux wall-oven equivalent for range hoods, if that speaks to anyone...

I have looked and Modern Aire seems to have one that fits my aesthetic needs but I have no idea how quiet / good it is and have read on this forum it's expensive.

What are the brands that I can trust here, or better yet, what hood should I buy, how powerful does it need to be, and can I get away with 36"?

Thanks so much in advance for your input.

Monika

Comments (15)