SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claire_de_luna

Say a little prayer for Luna...

claire_de_luna
15 years ago

...please. My dog hasn't been feeling a bit well. This morning she was dizzy, her eyes were going every which way and she started falling down; I thought she was having a stroke. After some tests, we found she has a tumor on her spleen, which may or may not be malignant. If you have any good energy to send this way for my 7 year old Golden Retriever, I'd appreciate whatever you've got. My last dog had lung cancer and the thought of going through this again is breaking my heart. Surgery is on Thursday. Right now, I'm worried about her falling and rupturing the tumor even while I'm trying to be positive. She's coming home tonight, and Thursday seems very far away...

Comments (75)

• loagiehoagie
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness! 7 is too young to have such problems. I will keep her in me doggie prayers. My dog Duke had to have knee surgery at 8 years of age and I debated long and hard about it. $3000.00 later he was fine and knock on wood is doing okay 4 years later. I bet Luna will be fine as well....Goldens are such loving and gentle dogs. I wish her the best and you as well. Stay in touch.

Duane

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

I'm here for you and Luna too....sending prayers and positive thoughts. Man, it's just so hard....

David

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Claire, Luna is a beautiful girl and I'll keep her in my thoughts and prayers for tomorrow, sending lots of good vibes for a successful surgery and quick and complete recovery.

Give her a scratch for me and when she's OK, have a hug for yourself.

Annie

• petaloid
    15 years ago

I send you both my best and hope that everything goes smoothly.

• paulines
    15 years ago

Still here for you.

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

Extra prayers going out this morning for Miss Luna and for her Mom.

• goldgirl
    15 years ago

Back to send more Golden hugs out to you, your family and darling Luna.

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You have no idea how much I appreciate all of you right now. I'm as nervous as a cat in a roomful of rocking chairs. The labs won't be back for at least a couple of days which is what I'm most concerned about, as her prognosis is only a few weeks if it's malignant. We're having stormy weather all day which isn't helping. Normally I'm pretty tough, but today I just want to hide under the covers...

• compumom
    15 years ago

Sending positive thoughts and healing vibes to the beautiful Miss Luna, and her mom!

• lsr2002
    15 years ago

More good thoughts coming your way and prayers that the lab results are good.

Lee

• User
    15 years ago

Claire, sending good thoughts Luna's way.

Ann

• lindac
    15 years ago

More good wishes for sweet doggie...
    Linda C

• shaun
    15 years ago

Sending good wishes to you........

• User
    15 years ago

Claire big hugs to you and positive thoughts for Luna, poor baby.

Keep us posted.

Sharon

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The vet called and said Luna came through the surgery just fine. She looked good when she got there (like she was going on vacation he said), but between then and the surgery, started to bleed into her abdomen again. They gave that blood back to her, so she didn't miss any of it. There was another small tumor along with the one they spotted during the imaging, which they also removed. I won't have the results of any labs until Saturday noon up to Monday morning.

The good news is her labs didn't show anything other than the bleeding (meaning other problems due to cancer), and she's always been healthy. The bad news is there was more than one tumor, and although there's a certain percentage of these that are benign, more likely they are usually malignant.

I was hoping (but not really expecting) to feel better about this by now, but course I don't. Waiting until Saturday/Monday is excruciating, to see if my dog is going to get to live out her normal life. I'm feeling a little sick...

• momof2doxies
    15 years ago

We will continue to keep Luna and you in our thoughts and prayers. Hugs to you both.
    Linda

• shellm
    15 years ago

Drake and I send special prayers to you and Luna.I know the waiting is the hardest part.

Hugs, Shelley and Drake

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

More hugs coming your way from us, too.

I can't imagine how stressful the waiting and not knowing must be. I only hope you get word on Saturday and don't have to wait until Monday.

Linda

• User
    15 years ago

Oh Claire......I know haow hard this is for you and her. All I can do is let you know I'm thinking of you.

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Me too Claire. It's so distressing to see our pets with an illness and so hard to be waiting for lab results.

I'm sending all my hopes that she will be just fine!

SharonCb

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just a short update...I called the vet to see how she was doing today. They said she's acting like she didn't even have surgery, so the good news is that she's feeling better. She's staying with them for a week while we're out of town, so I know she's in the best place she can be, if she can't be here with me.

Keep those good thoughts coming please! I can use every one of them until I find out something definitive, and appreciate you all so much right now.

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Claire, I've just popped in to check and I'm glad Luna is feeling better.

I'm sending you all the good thoughts and healing wishes I can find for Luna.

Annie

• paulines
    15 years ago

Good news, glad to hear!

• shellm
    15 years ago

Just checking in,great news.Glad luna is feeling better.Drake and I will keep her in our prayers.

Shelley

• compumom
    15 years ago

Still sending positive thoughts for Luna!

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

Great news on the recovery and I have fingers and toes crossed for more good news on her.

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

More prayers for Luna from here!

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Luna has an aggressive cancer and her symtoms will reappear in three months. I was trying to prepare for this, but the truth is that you just can't. I feel smacked down and can't stop crying. Now that her spleen is gone, it will attack her other organs. I never thought this would happen to her. It's my second dog (golden) with cancer and I don't think I'll have another. I need to go take a deep breath.

• shellm
    15 years ago

Claire,Im so sorry to hear this.Im sending you prayers to help you find the strength to get through this and that Luna will not suffer.

Shelley

• dedtired
    15 years ago

Oh dear. I am sorry things turned out this way. At least you know what's ahead and you can prepare yourselves and keep Luna comfortable.

It's okay to cry. Let it out.

• User
    15 years ago

I'm so sorry, what sad news.

Barb

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Oh Claire I am so very sorry for you. That is such a sad outcome, and not what we had all been waiting to hear.

I'm sending hugs for you both.

SharonCb

• riverrat1
    15 years ago

Claire, I'm so sorry. Hugs to you and your family.

• paulines
    15 years ago

(((friend)))

I'm so, so sorry.

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Oh, Clair, I'm so sorry to hear this, I was hoping for a much better prognosis.

Hugs to you, and some gentle ear scratches to Luna. Many of us here will be crying along with you.

Annie

• coconut_nj
    15 years ago

Claire your Luna is so very beautiful. You can see her lovely spirit in her face. I'm so very sorry. Please allow us to share your grief at this news. As dedtired said, cry as you need to. It will be so very hard so take what comfort you can from your friends and fellow animal lovers here.

• sushipup1
    15 years ago

Oh, I am so sorry to hear the bad news. I hope that your days with Luna are filled with special treats and lovely walks and good memories. Make every day count.

Great hugs for you.

Helene

• lindac
    15 years ago

Damn!!
    I am soooo sorry....
    Linda C

• momof2doxies
    15 years ago

Claire, I am so sorry. Just take every day and enjoy her as much as possible. Lucy, Ethel, & Lily send doggies kisses.

Linda

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

I'm so sorry. It's devastating news for you. Lean on us here, we understand what you are facing.

Nancy

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Claire, That was not what I expected when I checked in to see how she was doing. I'm so very sorry to hear the news. She looks like a real sweetie.

(((Cathy)))

• User
    15 years ago

Claire, I was hoping the news would be better. I'm very sorry.

Ann

• KatieC
    15 years ago

Ohhhhh...I am sorry to hear this. We lost our big ol' mutt, Puppy, to something similar. We'll be thinking of you and Luna.

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

Claire, you have mail.

A big hug to all of you and a tummy rub to Luna.

Peppi

• jessyf
    15 years ago

(((Hugs)))

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

Claire, I know what you are going through and feeling...it's only been a few weeks since I lost my Big Women, Lucy, from Bone Cancer. Man, all I can offer is lots of (((hugs)))....it's just do d@mn hard...

David

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

Hugs to you Claire, and hugs to Luna. I am so very sorry you're having to go through this!
    Lpink

• claire_de_luna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm checking in, and wanted to say a heartfelt thank you to everyone for all your support. We got the news on the road, while on the way to a windpower conference and the last fews days have felt pretty dark. I won't see Luna until Saturday, which feels weird since she's always gone with us when we traveled. It's truly a Mercury Retrograde moment, since this is old ground I have covered once before with our last golden. I'm trying to focus like a laser on the fact that she's feeling better for this day, and remind myself that the present is just that...a gift.

Peppi, I'll check my mail as soon as I get home.

David, I saw your post about Lucy and wanted so much to respond, but your story flooded me with my own memories of my last golden who had lung cancer, and I couldn't see the keyboard to let you know that. Please know you were (and still are) in my thoughts, even though I couldn't say so at the time.

I'm so appreciative for all of you. I'm taking my girl swimming as soon as she can go; it's one of her favorite things to do and we're going to do it as much as we can while she feels like it. I keep looking for the blessings, and count all of you as mine.

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

I just saw your news and I'm SO sorry.....

I've been in your shoes too many times and it is a hard road.

Cherish the moments.

Grace

• shellm
    15 years ago

My heart just acches for you Claire.I am typing w/tears in my eyes.I know Luna will enjoy her swim.God bless you Luna.

Shelley and Drake