SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ibewye

Is it them or me? Looking for builder blues.

ibewye
10 years ago

We are currently looking for a builder for our home and so far I've been surprised at the difficulty we've been having, so I'm seeking some help to make sure what I'm asking from a builder isn't the problem.

We've contacted 10-12 builders so far asking for estimates on simply rough framing our home. Exterior walls, interior walls, windows, doors, siding and roof. Site work and foundation will be in place. Here's where I have some questions that may be a factor:

1-My father owns and operates a smaller franchise lumber co and will be able to save us a considerable amount on materials, so naturally I've told builders that we would be supplying all materials necessary and can provide a material list if needed. I'm wondering if by not being able to markup up or place an allowance on material that they may be reluctant to wanna build?

2-when we had our home designed we kept simplicity in mind, I had hoped that we would save money by keeping the footprint small, the house shape simple (minimal corners, no juts, no dormers) and the roof with only a few gabled ends (and using all trusses). I hear people say that builders just take square footage and apply a dollar amount to it and that's how they figure the estimate. In my opinion a home with cathedral ceilings, multiple window types (size and shape) and crazy roof lines would much more labor intensive to build than a home that lacked any of those features. So am I crazy to think that this should be considered when builder provides estimate?

3-I'm disturbed at how many builders cry poverty over the winter months but in the busy summer months don't seem willing to return a phone call regarding building a home. Am I the only one?

Comments (28)