SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dlr98004

Basement Bathroom using Kerdi and maybe ditra?

dlr98004
14 years ago

Our 1970's basement bathroom is finally up for renovation. Room has been gutted and old fiberglass shower has been removed. Concrete floor is quite flat - one (18" long x 1/8" max)crack - has not increased in size in 10 years. Crack is virtually flat. Floor was carpeted before. We are not moving any plumbing. Shower size will be 42 x 48" and will have kerdi drain and kerdi on all walls. We will do the dry pack preslope ourselves and have kerdi on top of that. Walls are framed and 1/2" sheetrock goes next.

We are using a rectified porcelain tile (City View by DalTile - District Gold) for both shower and bathroom floor - mixture of 12x12 and 18x18s. Grout line 1/8" unsanded grout.

We have done a kerdi shower before (upstairs). My question is about tiling the basement floor - especially with that crack. Plus we live in Seattle and do have an occasional earthquake. We live in an area of underground springs - but we have not had any seepage through the concrete floor in this part of the house.

Can I use Redgard all over the concrete floor - or should I use Ditra? Redgard seems alot easier.

The sample of Ditra I got is fairly thick and with thinset will add to the height of the floor - just another threshold to deal with.

I really appreciate any candid advise you can provide!

I've got pictures of the crack, but don't know how to upload them.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living