SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amarina_z

Pictures! Trauma over shower height in new attic master bath.

amarina_z
12 years ago

Hi All!

I'm having a little trauma over the shower in our conversion of our attic in our 1914 craftsman bungalow. The space before had a bedroom built in a new dormer (see pictures "bedroom in the attic") and a den (see "den in the attic", but the walls were built to make a pretty narrow space and the unused attic space called to us to make a space that had more character (more floorspace even if new spaces had less headroom) and to install a master bath. Soooo... basically, the photo of the den has been widened by about 80" (40" on each side) to create a master bedroom, and the previous bedroom is on it's way to becoming a master bathroom and walk in closet. I've mapped out the layout on the photo titled "presentation1" to show you what I mean with the bathroom layout.

The total ceiling height in the dormer where the master bath is to end up is 82" in the corner by the window, and then eases up to 85" and flattens out. We have to put a shower in this space. The shower we are coveting is glassed in on two sides (front and side nearest the bathtub) and has a acrylic base. We are on a real tight budget so a schleuter system is not in the cards. However, with the shower base (4" tall when you stand in it), the backerboard and the tile, one end of the shower will only be 77.5" tall (less than 6'5"), the other end will be just under 6'8". The plumbing would have to be on the short end of the wall.

Soooo....is this too short? (We're not overly tall but don't want to hurt our resale value in this expensive reno.) If not, what type of showerhead to install? (Once again our budget is tight!) The other option is to put glass only on the front of the shower and build a small wall on the opposite side, and install the plumbing there - utilizing the extra 3" on that end of the shower - so where you would be standing to shower would be just under 6'8". What does everyone think?

Thanks sooo much in advance for your replies!

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures of what I'm talking about ;)

Comments (2)