SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mustangs81

Going To Meet Lou/Hawk Tomorrow!

mustangs81
15 years ago

I'm headed down to Sarasota to meet Lou for lunch. I'm looking forward to it and will report back.

See ya'

Comments (57)

• shaun
    15 years ago

Cathy, give my buddy LOU a big juicy kiss on the cheek! And squeeze him tight from ME!

Lou? Give my friend Cathy a big hug and kiss from me too!

Ok guys, get busy.

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    15 years ago

First, Lou has the pictures.

Second, Lou is one fine gentleman! Additionally, he is very talented in the kitchen and the workshop.

I got to Main St. Sarasota a bit early which, fortunately or unfortunately, gave me time to do some pre-shopping at the new Sur La Table. Coming clean--I spent $116 on gadgets! Then I cased Whole Foods and made mental notes on what I needed.

Lou shows up, he is appropriately dressed for this touristy area and is dashing in his straw hat. We spent the rest of the afternoon conversing in Italian style i.e. touchy and a lot of usage of hand gestures.

After a stroll down Main St checking out the lunch options and the many boutiques, we settled on El Greco Cafe, Mediterranean cuisine heavy on Greek. The meal was 3 star at best but the conversation was 5 star! I was honored that he shared pictures of his lovely Ginny, family, and his prize-winning wood carvings.

We stopped for dessert at a pastry cafe with more conversation this time focusing on how to make pizzelle and biscotti. I asked Lou to be my pizzelle mentor.

We headed back to Whole Foods were I spent $60 on more unnecessary stuff. Cathy: $170/Lou: $0.00. How'd he do that?

Lou brought me more of his fabulous pizzelles, biscotti, also some Philadelphia classics--TastyKakes.

More from me later, right now I have to hidethrough> put away my purchases.

I'm sure he will chime with his report.

• Related Discussions

for Lou regarding Fire Dragon

Q

Comments (50)
    Yes it does have a short half-life and an insecticidal life or 3-10 days. That is far far shorter than MANY other highly used insecticides. Certainly not 15 years as I have seen claimed before. As previously stated, we have a full community of insects in our plants, and in our soil, and we use it to control Japanese Beetle damage during the 6 weeks or so the adults are present. ENVIRONMENTAL FATE Carbaryl has a short residual life on treated crops. The insecticide remains at the application site, where it is slowly taken into the plant and metabolized. Insecticidal properties are retained for 3-10 days. Loss of carbaryl is due to evaporation and uptake into plants. Breakdown by sunlight does not appear to be significant. Degradation of carbaryl in the soil is mostly due to sunlight and bacterial action. It is bound by organic matter and can be transported in soil runoff. Carbaryl has a half-life of 7 days in aerobic soil and 28 days in anaerobic soil (9). Degradation of carbaryl in crops occurs by hydrolysis inside the plants. It has a short residual life of less than two weeks. The metabolites of carbaryl have lower toxicity to humans than carbaryl itself. The breakdown of this substance is strongly dependant on acidity and temperature. Here is a link that might be useful: carbaryl, A.K.A. Sevin
    ...See More

Meet Cheeky

Q

Comments (18)
    Lou, yes. That is probably what happened. We once had a dear little pet parakeet that loved to sit on my shoulder as I worked around the house. He had the run of the house most of the time and would have eaten out of our plates if we would have let him. The parrot family contains the most intelligent of birds (crows are also very intelligent) and they are very social so if you just one they will become closely aligned with you as they crave companionship. Unfortunatly, they don't have a 'homing' instinct like pigeons so if they get loose they fly away. One time, with the bird on my shoulder, I forgot and walked outside with him. He flew away. It was a cold rainy day in winter. I'm sorry, but I don't think a parakeet can survive a Dallas area winter on it's own. Here is a link that might be useful: One of many videos of Alex the parrot showing his thinking skills ...
    ...See More

Moms going in for another procedure tomorrow

Q

Comments (27)
    got to hear the urologist explain the procedure and alternatives if it's not what they think - or more complex, he sounds competent and confident which makes me happy. Plus I rode up in the elevator with him and he said he liked my flowers [white and pink carnations for MOm :)] good sign to meet him first I think. Saw the D.O. who is such an optimist and has known my family for 35 yrs. Still waiting to hear how it went but at least I saw Mom today. Thanks for the continued support, it's meant alot. Still need a nap though lol.
    ...See More

I'm going to meet Chef John Besh!!!!

Q

Comments (12)
    Annie, It's too bad the timing isn't good. But I know you will have more than enough to do that week. Riverrat, I understand that he is a really wonderful person also. I read that he grows a lot of his own food and raises chickens and livestock to use in his restaurants. Karen
    ...See More
  • compumom
    15 years ago

LOL Cathy, you're a hoot! You'd better be careful or Raymond will put a stop to all these forum meetings!
    I'm glad that Lou was great company, I'm not surprised! Looking forward to seeing both of you!

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

Cathy, it sounds like you had a great time. Would love to see the gadgets that the gadget queen found. No Sur La Table around here...but I visit their website..... :)

Can't wait to see the pic's.

Nancy

• sally2_gw
    15 years ago

Sounds like y'all had a wonderful day! I can't wait to see the pictures.

Sally

• riverrat1
    15 years ago

I can't wait for pictures! Sounds like a great time was had by all.

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

What a grand time you both had! Now I want photos.

• Bizzo
    15 years ago

pictures?

• jessyf
    15 years ago

We are anxiously awaiting pictures and Lou's side of the story. Just to keep us entertained while we wait, here is an example of Lou's woodwork. I'll use it if he doesn't post soon!

• shaun
    15 years ago

Sounds like you two had a wonderful time. I'm jealous!

Come on Lou let's see some pictures!!

• goldgirl
    15 years ago

fingers tapping....

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nice spoon! Looks like a deep bowl...and personalized too!

Okay, to continue with the entertainment until Lou arrives and to respond to Nancy's request, here are the items from Sur la Table:

Ice Cream Scoop & Stack
    Roast Cutting Tongs
    Travel Coffee Press-I know, I don't drink coffee but the packaging says it can be used for tea leaves
    California Sea Salt
    Olive and Caper Spoon
    Leifheit Canning Jars-Neat shape, expensive so I won't be gifting stuff in these, well, if it was one of you I would
    Divided Salt Box-I saw this in Duruta, Italy but didn't want to cart it home. Turns out that on sale at Sur la Table was cheaper than in the factory. Okay, so I forgot that I have 3 other salt boxes
    Cake Rack-For my 5 Minute bread; my rectangular racks have been working fine but round bread on square racks just, well, it just bothered me
    Gourmet Masher-anyway, that's what the packaging says

• annie1992
    15 years ago

LOL, Cathy, the round bread on a square rack bothers you? I've never even thought about it but now that you say that I'm going to think about it every single time I bake a round loaf. It won't bother me, but I'll think about you and your round cake rack and smile, your gadget fetish just tickles me. Somehow I think Raymond might not be quite so entertained....

That salt box is really pretty and those canning jars are too, but a gourmet masher? Got a gourmet in mind that needs mashing? (grin)

I'm still waiting for the pictures...

Annie

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

Cathy, nice haul!

You know why I asked, don't you?
    Remember the game we played at Sherry's house? You had me stumped on a couple of your gadgets, so I just wanted to have a peek incase we ever play that again. :)

Nancy

• Gina_W
    15 years ago

"...my rectangular racks have been working fine but round bread on square racks just, well, it just bothered me"

LOLOL Cathy!!!

• caliloo
    15 years ago

Great haul! And what fun you two had! What does a "scoop and stack" do? I can kind of see the photo on the box, but is it just for making neater ice cream cones? And the salt box is gorgeous!

So... it bothers you that round bread cools on a square rack? I presume you are baking the 5 min bread on a square stone right?

I just got the 5 min bread book and have yet to try it... I have bread fear all of a sudden, but the round/square rack has me intrigued.

I can't wait to see more pictures!

Alexa

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think I will need to cull out some of my gadgets to make room. Maybe I should put together a box and see if anyone here would be interested in putting their name in the hat for a gadget give-away. I know I can count Annie out, she is still ticked that I gave her the asparagus peeler. LOL!

OMG Alexa, now you've gone and done it! I haven't been bothered by the square baking stone; but then I have been using the "round" Dutch oven method for the 5 Minute bread. I have been really happy with this 5 Minute bread strategy, go for it! And yes, neater ice cream. See the link below.

Nancy, I remember it well. I also remember that you did pretty good identifying most of the items.

Annie, Got a gourmet in mind that needs mashing? I thought that was funny too and being a smart a$$, I asked the sales associate if it would work with any gourmet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scoop and Stack

• lindac
    15 years ago

Uh oh....I might need one of them!...
    Let me know how easy it is to wash....
    Linda C

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Cathy, I wasn't ticked that you sent the asparagus peeler, I just couldn't figure out WHY you sent it, LOL. Remember, there was apparently supposed to be a note with it that I didn't find. I've still never bothered to peel asparagus, though, and anyone I've mentioned it to looks at me like I've lost my mind, which, actually, is kind of fun. (grin)

Annie

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have scoopage: I talked to Lou this morning. He has been busy wrestling alligators and watching the Airboat Show. He said he would post pictures when he gets back to the Poconos.

• User
    15 years ago

LOL Cathy!!!

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Sounds like a delightful afternoon with Luigi, as Sol calls him.
    Glad he is out of this cold and warm in Fla.
    Look fwd to seeing the pics..
    Cathy, lots of interesting gadgets there. I just read an article about peeling asparagus,,,but I don't remember where! :(

• shaun
    15 years ago

If I ever stay at your house Cathy, I'll be up all night long trying out all your gadgets!!!! There's no way I could sleep knowing all the fun I could be having in that kitchen.

• vacuumfreak
    15 years ago

It does sound like a great time was had. And, what fun new toys you got. Very exciting, and I can't wait to see pictures as well!

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

Sounds likey you two had a great time. Nice haul Cathy...you are good for the economy!!

Shaun, you better be sure and put them back in their exact spot....you know you are messin' with the queen of organization...LOL!

David

• riverrat1
    15 years ago

LOL Cathy!

Oooooh, Looks like you had major fun at Sur La Table!

What is the Cuisipro and the blue handled gadget? Just curious. BTW, your picture reminds me that I need a new melon baller...

• sheesh
    15 years ago

This is a hoot! Thanks!

Do you use all your gadgets very often?

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shaun, you know that you have an open invitation. BTW, Lou is invited too...I have three cabinets waiting to be stacked and recessed into the wall to make a pantry.

Kathleen, I never peel asparagus until last night, I usually just snap and roast. These were really big so I thought i would give peeling a try, they turned out really tender.

David, Funny, but you will need me one day to organize your new house!

Karen, The Crispro thing is to make neat ice cream cones. I usually check out items before buying anything but this was spontaneous. Turns out it is a dude according to the reviews. The blue handled item is like a pastry blender, just a different configuration. Lou kept wanting me to get a melon scoop to make perfect pizzelles.

Okay, now that you all have helped me examine these acquisitions I find I could have done without all...well all but three.

• cloudy_christine
    15 years ago

Wouldn't you need squared-off cones, Cathy?

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I meant "dud" not "dude"; I must have been still thinking about David.

But CC, the cones are round! Just like my bread (although it's a little flat) and my new round rack.

• riverrat1
    15 years ago

"I meant "dud" not "dude"; I must have been still thinking about David."

I'm LOL at you, you funny girl!

• sally2_gw
    15 years ago

I'm away for a few days and look at all the fun I've missed. I just checked back to see the pictures. Come on, Lou, leave those poor alligators alone and hurry back to the Poconos.

Those look like fun gadgets to me.

Sally

• hawk307
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone:

I'm back from my week in Florida, where I had no Computer access.

I didn't know all this was going on, until Cathy told me,
    in a Phone call.
    Why would she went and done did this to me.
    I'm a very bashful person . LOL

Any way, when I parked in the Parking building across from
    Whole Foods Market,
    I was going to talk to someone, to get a " quick " Photo,
    Because I borrowed my sister's Bathrobe.
    ( It looked like a Bright Pink Fur Coat )
    Plus I had a big Straw Hat with a lot of loud colored feathers stuck in the Brim.

I was going to run up and give Cathy a big hug and get the Photo taken.

But after giving it a little thought (about 3 seconds )
    I decided, we both might get taken to the lockup,
    for, you know what!!!

Cathy told yau'll what we did and ate. would you believe,
    I had a Philly Cheesesteak.
    Like I really missed them ???

Sarasota looked to be one of the nicer places in Fla.,
    although I haven't been to too many other places.

When I left Ft. Myers, it was supposed to go up to 86 degrees. everyone was leaving that week to go back home.
    I think it went down to 21 in the Pocono's. I had to put on a Long Sleeved Shirt, when I got home.

Had a good afternoon with Cathy.
    She made me feel very comfortable ( howwww comfortaaaableeee ????? )
    Really !!!!! Like I was an old friend, she knew for years.
    Wish I had more time to spend with her.

She probably would have talked me into coming home with her,
    to install the Cabinets in her laundry room.

She blamed me for all the money she spent on the Gadgets.
    God knows what else she would have blamed on me???,
    if I hung around longer ?
    Scuse me Gina !!! I'll convert you one day.

Should have taken more pictures.

I'll put them in my Computer tonight, to edit them.
    Maybe, I can make myself look better.
    Then I'll send them to Cathy.
    She can do the honors.
    I'll sit back and read.

This is the first time I've visited " Conversations "
    Talk at you later.
    LOU

• shaun
    15 years ago

Looking forward to seeing the pictures Lou! Glad you had such a nice time.

Wish you had put on that pink housecoat though..... that I'd pay to see! hahahaha!!!

• sally2_gw
    15 years ago

I'm so happy you had a good time, Lou. And, it's good to see you on the conversations side of things.

Sally

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay folks, Lou sent me some of his pictures to post:

This is Lou and me on Main St, Sarasota:

I know many of you have lobster tanks at your grocery stores and restaurants, but here--we have gator tanks. Make your selection!

This is a little pastry shop where Lou and I had dessert.

This is Lou at the Shell Factory. This was here when I was a kid (yea, a long time ago) I remember wondering why they had to make shells in a factory when there were plenty on the beach.

This is me checking out and saying to Lou "You haven't spent any money, how'd you do that?"

This is Lou and his new friend.

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

Mama Mia! Are you guys colorful or what?!
    FUN pics!

• shaun
    15 years ago

Fun! Fun!!! Thanks for posting those - looks like you two had a really great time!

• mtnester
    15 years ago

"Colorful" indeed! Together, you are two-thirds of a rainbow, and with matching twinkles in your eyes!

Lou, your sense of humor resembles my father's, so I somehow thought you were around his age, not as young and handsome as you are.

I loved reading this thread!

Sue

• sally2_gw
    15 years ago

I love the pictures! It looks like y'all had so much fun. You're both cute.

Sally

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

Woo Hoo! Thanks for sharing the pics you two. Lou, great to meet you and Cathy good to see you again. Lou, you should have done the whole bathrobe thing....LOL..that would have been great.

David

• linda214
    15 years ago

nice pictures Lou- you cutie

• Bizzo
    15 years ago

Great Pics! And what a fun time!!! Thanks for sharing...

• mustangs81
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"Colorful" yes, well I had to stand out so Lou could identify me and Lou was dressed as a tourist. Besides, we are both Italian.

• triciae
    15 years ago

Oh, how fun! Wish I could have joined you both. Thanks for the pixs!

/tricia

• hawk307
    15 years ago

Cathy:
    When they mentioned " Colorful ", I think they were speaking of you, Not your Clothes.

In think a lot of the women might need their Glasses adjusted.
    I looked in a mirror to see what they were talking about.
    Nothing resembles what they said about me.

If I knew all this was to transpire, I could have met you 3 hours earlier.
    And we would have had at least 4 more pictures.

David; You are right !!! I should have worn the bright Pink Bathrobe and zapped her.

Funny when I came out of the Park-a-teria,
    I got on my cell phone and asked Cathy where she was.
    She said," I'm in front of Whole Food Market and I'm wearing a Bright Pink top,
    Where are you ???"
    I said look straight ahead about 20 feet.

Didn't buy anything in Whole Foods, because I didn't need anything.
    We ate out a lot at my sister's place. I even talked my BIL into Mac Donald's for a $1 Mac Chicken.

He never had one and couldn't believe what we got for $1.
    Even ordered some to go.

That's it for now. Talk at you later.
    LOU

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

I really enjoyed your pictures! I went to school in Sarasota- Ringling- and it's a wonderful town although I haven't been back in 25 years!

• Gina_W
    15 years ago

Lou, you are cute as a button! Cathy, looking good too! Glad you two had a good time.

• sands99
    15 years ago

OMG you guys are so cute! Exactly how I thought :)

So glad you had a great time, it sure looks that way!

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Well, I am late coming back to see these pics, but I am glad I did.
    Thay are wonderful!
    It sounds like you had a great time...
    Good for you, Cathy, making our Lou feel so comfortable...
    I really can't believe he is SHY!
    Thanks for sharing...
    Lou loved your shell line..LOL...