SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biwako_of_abi

Trouble upgrading to Trend Micro Internet Security 16

biwako_of_abi
14 years ago

The trouble is over for me, but I thought others might profit by my experience.

I had version 12 and got a message saying that as of June 2 (I think) it would no longer be supported and would no longer get virus updates. Having just renewed my subscription for a year in April, I was happy to accept their offer of a free upgrade to vs. 16.

Then the trouble started. I will skip the part about how it was hard to figure out which upgrade to download and how the first downloads wouldn't install at all. No, the worst problem was that once I finally got the right download and installed it, the icon in the Systray was always greyed out, and within a minute or two of booting up the computer, my mouse no longer worked. I could move the cursor around, but clicking wouldn't open or close anything--even the Start button wouldn't work. Tried numerous forced shutdowns and reboots. No dice.

I phoned Trend Micro, which deserves credit for having enough techies so that you can speak to a human without waiting. The support guy who helped me said that the problem could be caused by remnants of Spybot and Spyware Blaster that got left even after I was prompted to "click to remove" those programs during installation.

While we were emailing back and forth about this issue, with my PC in safe mode, now I.E. stopped working, so I had to go back and forth to my husband's computer to get and email a HijackThis filelog to tech support. The problem carried over to this morning, when it suddenly struck me that if Spybot and Spyware Blaster could cause trouble, then maybe Anti-malwarebytes could, too.

I uninstalled that program, and lo and behold, no more trouble with Trend Micro Internet Security.

Hope this helps someone else who is tearing out his/her hair.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living