SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

HDD dying - disease - what?

14 years ago

A 2007 Gateway Notebook with XP Home.

Last night tried for a normal shut down. The computer stuck/froze in a "shutting down state"... after waiting several minutes I hit the physical power off button.

This morning the computer would not boot, it went through at least part of the BIOS as a screen came up, I could see a short hit on the HDD, and froze with a choice of F2) BIOS Settting, and F10) Boot Menu

Hitting F2 nothing happens, but F10 resulted in the menu displayed. I verified that the boot sequence was first CD. Then I did a physical power down, after inserting the Gateway XP Recovery disk. On power up the same result occurred. That is stuck in F2/F10 no boot from CD.

I let it set and was working on something else when I saw windows coming up... I am now using the subject computer. I did a backup and shut down, same problem, and the same steps resulting in getting XP loaded.

Any ideas? Could it be a dying HDD, or a virus? Other?

Thanks, I'd like to buy a new computer anyway - I'd go for a W7 and 64 bit as a basic requirement on a new machine. Still, I'd like to keep the Gateway running to give me time to look and shop for a new machine.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals