SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crazykelly

want 36' gas range or cooktop/ovens - help!

shelly_ok
15 years ago

I've been lurking and searching for a while and am feeling overwhelmed.

We are building a new house with a med/large kitchen. I would like to go to at least a 36" range, could fit a 48". I prefer the look of a range, but could see doing a cooktop and separate oven(s) if it was enough better for the budget. I think if we went with a 36" range we might put in a smaller wall oven to use when we don't need to heat a big one. (Or split ovens on a range and a bigger wall oven?) Maybe we should just go with a 48" range and no wall ovens, can you get one for less than an arm and a leg? Trying to get things narrowed down in my mind to help with layout and budget ideas.

Here's some info that might help you help me. LOL

We have free natural gas on our property, I think I really don't want a dual fuel range, would consider an electric wall oven if someone can tell me why. I am somewhat of a messy cook. We have a family of 6 that may grow a bit more. I like to cook and bake and I appreciate a good piece of equipment but am not a gourmet (not to say that I couldn't get better). We do try to cook a lot from scratch. We use the broiler at least twice a week to make our family staple - quesadillas. Budget is an issue for the whole project but am willing to give and take. Would love to get cooking and vented under $7K, but not a deal breaker.

I am currently using a 30" pro-style JennAire, I don't remember the model number but have had it only a few years. It is all gas, convection oven, different burners. I like the oven, have been happy with how things turn out, it heats fast enough for me, it's plenty big enough and it's quiet. The cook top is fine but doesn't blow my hair back - what I like least is that I can't use the bigger burners on high on anything less than a really big pot/skillet. From what I read this is not a problem with all sealed burners, but many? (See I can't even decide sealed vs open burners!) We use a microwave mostly for reheating.

Style-wise almost anything would work as the house will be farmhouse sytle, but I don't mind the commercial look ranges. An always on AGA really intrigues me, but I don't think we could handle it in the summer here, so I'm waiting until I'm 85 years old and always cold or we move to the mountains, so I need to figure out what to use in the 45 years until then ;-)

I think this ended up very long, thank you very much if you made it this far! I am driving myself nuts with the multitude of options!

Comments (2)