SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swampwiz_gw

Any ideas for totally blocking out sunshine to a window?

swampwiz
14 years ago

As I explained in my previous post, I have some east facing windows. Both for blocking of heating insolation, and the light itself [this is my bedroom, and I like to sleep late :-)], I would like some ideas about a convenient system of blocking the sun.

I do want the windows there, both for architectural aesthetics, but also for ventilation and general communing with nature (i.e., being able to see the grass outside) for when the weather is mild outside the summer. I mean, these are the reasons folks have windows in the first place! There is already an egress window that faces north, so that is not an issue.

Obviously, the simple solution is a good set of shades, and if I can't come up with a better idea, this is what I will do. But the type of shades can make a difference. I would like the shades to be very tight in not allowing light. It seems that a good set of opaque horizontal blinds can do the trick to some extent, but there are always gaps here and there, especially along the sides. I am not a curtain person, but I understand that a really thick set of curtains could do the job as well.

But even if I were to have such internal shading, it seems that I would still have the problem of the insolation heating. There will be Cardinal loE-366 windows there, which has the lowest solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC) available, (while still not being semi-tinted like loE-240, which has only a slightly lower SHGC value), but this would still be a heat source that I would rather not have. I am not sure of how well shades could reflect the insolation, or what effect the loE glass would have on internal reflection. I would tend to think that if it is difficult to have insolation come in, it would be just as difficult in letting that insolation go out, but maybe I am wrong in this assumption.

This leaves outside solutions to this problem. There is the old-fashioned method of window awnings, but they are not very effective for east windows. There is also the idea of complete wall awnings, which would be better, but still not complete as the sun could be at a low angle.

There is the method of shutters, but that would require the inconvenience of having to go outside to move them. I might be able to do that during each shoulder season, but I would have no ability to remove the shielding from the inside if I felt like looking outside the window during the closed season (summer.)

I have heard of external shades that can completely block a window. If these need to be operated from the outside, then it is the same as the shutters. However, if they can be easily operated from the inside, then this might be able to do the trick. I am just wondering on how easy they can be operated. I would prefer a system that relies completely on the mechanical work of the operator, not something that is motorized, but I guess I could live with that, if I could be assured that the motor would last a long time (how would the motor get power? from a tap in the line or from a cord in a nearby outlet, etc.?)

Anyway, I am open to suggestions and comments about this.

Comments (10)