SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

Bad gas KitchenAid cooktop, won't return.

chas045
16 years ago

We just had a new Kitchen Aid glass gas cooktop KGCC566 (from Sears) installed. I think it is defective and want to have it exchanged, but Sears/Kitchenaid has refused because the repairman (from a company owned by sears that KA wants used) said it was as good as I could expect.

My serious complaint is that the burners don't burn correctly. One of my burners has big yellow flames at the tips (that were far worse before the repairman found that two burner heads had been reversed) and two burners have small yellow tips. To quote Kitchen Aid manual : "Check Operation of Surface Burners...Check the flame on "HI" for a blue color. It should be clean and soft in character. No yellow tip, blowing or lifting of the flame should occur. Occasional orange flashes are normal and reflect different elements in the air or gas."

I don't recall yellow flames on my old gas stoves but we are now using propane and it could be different; but I just checked my neighbor's 10 year old Hotpoint (with similar burner design) and it does not have yellow flames or tips either. I think a new Kitchenaid should be better than an old Hotpoint. I also note that my small burners have smaller orifices than the manual expects and they don't increase gas delivery in the top third of the range. The KA tech people finally responded and said that the manual was wrong about orifice sizes.

In any case, I think that KitchenAid owes me a new working cooktop. What do you all think and what have you been able to do in similar circumstances. OR do you think I am over reacting. The repairman thinks that they are all like this.

Actually, I suspect that this unit was already returned and repackaged because although perfectly packed in styrofoam: the gas pipe was dammaged preventing the gas line to be threaded on until after serious filing of munged threads; several rubber feet were missing or rubbed off in the grates that protect the glass top (they sent replacement grates); I found a couple of small chunks of foam stuck in the corners where the top mounts to the granite that looked identical to the foam I later applied and reapplied after taking one piece off that made identical little leftover chunks, and finally the two burners were misoriented.

Comments (4)