SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladycfp_gw

Bill, Mongo, possible shower RE DO

ladycfp
15 years ago

It looks like I may be facing a tearout and redo of my MB shower. Here is the shower as it was built, from the curb up

at which point the glass panels were installed and then tiled to. I mean, the shower was completely DONE. Problem is, the glass was not inspected, three panes had roller marks in the tempering, and had to be replaced. My tile man was present at the glass removal/replacement although he did not handle the glass. In removing the glass (the front three panes only- the wall panes were untouched) a pane was "stuck" and in working it free, the center pane shattered. I mention that because of what developed over the next month- six weeks of use (apologies in advance for the hair factor!) :

The tile man returned. We surmised settling had taken place, he removed the cracked grout and also the caulk, the recaulked and grouted again and we left it for a couple days before resuming use. Within a month- six weeks, same cracks as before and additional cracks had developed, both inside AND outside, curiously only in the area interior and exterior of the front three panes where the glass was replaced. Nowhere else in the shower or floor is there cracks in the grout or caulk. How interesting!

This week, the tile man returned with the VP from the tile company. Between the three of us, we wonder if in removing the pane, the kerdi covering over the curb was breeched and the wood is wet and expanding, resulting in the cracks. If, so, some kind of tear out redo is called for, which I dread. If not, maybe the wood is settling and in time will stop and the cracking will end? They return Monday morning with a tool to measure moisture reading through the tile (?) to see what they can tell. In the meantime, since the interior areas that are cracked get a lot of water, I haven't used the shower. Should I keep using it so when they come to measure for moisture, there is some, or not? It has been five days without use so far.

What do you think? Spectralock grout was used. The VP of Morris Tile says not grout failure. This is a second floor (of three) shower. Not sure what else I can tell you, I have tons of photos and can take more if that will give you a clue I haven't supplied. I want to do the right thing, but certainly don't want to rip it up needlessly. How would you proceed?

Comments (105)