SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
velodoug

A Tale of Two Ranges...

velodoug
15 years ago

...and a cautionary note:

We owned two buildings that backed up on each other, a warehouse with an apartment that we lived in, and a little single family house that we rented. The tenant in the house passed away. We decided to sell the warehouse and move into the house. But an agent still had the key to the house from when it was appraised and took a buyer through it as well as through the warehouse. The buyer offered us twice the appraised value for the house, to include all of the contents (the tenant's belongings were already removed by her family). That brings us to the appliance part of the tale.

The tenant was in the middle of remodeling the kitchen at her expense when she died. All of the Ikea cabinets and countertops were installed and everything was up and running except for a 30" Wolf range that was never delivered. When we decided to sell the warehouse we moved our Lacanche Cormatin from the apartment to the house and hooked it up. We didn't want a buyer thinking it came with the apartment. We installed a used Hotpoint range in its place.

The Cormatin was my choice when we remodeled the apartment kitchen. I didn't want to sell it with the house, but the buyer's lawyer wouldn't budge. If even one item from a long list of house contents in the formal offer was not included the offer would be rescinded. The offer was so ridiculously high that we couldn't turn it down.

That left us looking for a range for our new, then old and now new again kitchen. I chose the range the last time. This time it was DW's turn and she chose a 24" BlueStar because it reminds her of the commercial Garland range in the NYC apartment where she grew up. We've been using the new range for about a month. DW loves it, and I am getting used to it. It's actually quite a nice range. And I know that by this time next year I will be as familiar with it's characteristics and foibles as I was with the Cormatin. Which brings me to the cautionary note.

I recently replied in a private email to a question on another forum about a Lacanche gas oven. My reply was correct for the oven in our 2005 Lacanche but dead wrong for the questioner's oven in a newer model. The whole burner arrangement had changed. It all worked out in the end, but the lesson I learned is that offering technical advice, particularly when safety is involved, is not a good idea unless the person offering the advice knows for sure what they are talking about. Accordingly, I am going to stop offering any advice about Lacanche ranges. I loved mine. I miss it. And I am happy that so many of my friends here are enjoying theirs.

Comments (11)