SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tartanhabit_gw

Grouting gone wrong - any input tile folks or others?

tartanhabit
11 years ago

Well, not only do I have a wall tile that I'm not loving (white looks more yellowish now that it's up and grouted), I have a floor problem.

When I came home from work the guys had been grouting the floor and there was a massive clean up operation going on. My contractor told me that the delorean gray grout I was using stained the tile blue. He seemed to think the admix I had purchased was the problem. Anyway, there was much scrubbing and running around with buckets of water - the grout is out but the tile has lost some of its luster and now has subtle blue gray patches. It's a porcelain tile with some texture. When I wet the tile and compare it to a fresh uninstalled tile I can see what looks like a gray grout substance in some of the more textured parts of the installed tile.

What went wrong? How to fix? Is this fixable? Do I have to take the whole lot up and start again? Is the admix I purchased to blame? I got it from a local tile store, not Home Depot and my contractor is trying to question whether I bought the right thing but it clearly said 'admix for grouting' on the bottle.

Aggh!

Comments (6)