SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heathjs28

Help...choosing appliances

15 years ago

Hey all. I frequent this forum and have never really posted. I am building a new house and am in the process of designing my kitchen.

So, my issue is this. I have never cooked on gas stoves. I have been endlessly fretting and reading post after post. My builder will do whatever...gas or electric...so I'm kinda stuck.

I use a smooth top electric right now in my current house. I have never had gas and never cooked with gas at all.

People who have used gas...I get mixed reviews from. Some tell me about how they burned everything even on low. Mind you, these are bottom of the barrel systems they are using.

The the issues are whether to go with the gas Wolf 36" cooktop 5 burner....or the Electrolux Hybrid induction cooktop.

With the induction, I can use the over the stove microwave vent system. So my microwave will be located over my stove area. With the gas...the microwave will have to be located nearby to the stove in the middle of a pantry-like cabinet.

I must say I'm scared of gas. My biggest fear is setting my kitchen on fire cooking bacon (jokingly I say that because of the grease and popping...but still). So, my Mom (who has never cooked on gas) keeps telling me I'll regret going with gas and I'll burn my house down. Her voice radiates in my mind.

I like the fact the induction is so responsive. I will have the best of both worlds with the hybrid induction system, but then again...i'm restricted to what size pans, pots to use.

So a few questions I guess comes out of this long description...and pardon if it makes 0 sense because I'm way flustrated about the whole thing!

So, my ignorance of gas leads to these questions:

#1 if I have a boil over with water/oil mixture - say I'm cooking green beans or something...will I experience a flare up.

#2 if I'm cooking bacon or something popping grease everywhere, will I set myself and the kitchen on fire.

Will I regret not getting gas? Will I regret getting gas? UGHHHHHH!!!!

Comments (4)