SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vizslalover_gw

Follow up to cutting out cultured marble sinks-PICS

vizslalover
16 years ago

I asked about a month ago if anyone had experience cutting out formed cultured marble sinks and replacing them with a drop in. No one had any experience but I think 1 or 2 people were interested in the idea. Well, DH and I did a light bathroom remodel (under $1k) for my parents over the last 3 days that included doing this (as well as removal of a soffit with fluorescent strip lighting and new towel racks).

This isn't a true 'before' pic because I forgot to take one. This is the sink in the other bathroom which is the same shape etc (but doesn't have the icky 70's faucet so you can't get the full effect).

Here's what the two old sinks look like now

The new sink and faucet (Kohler Cimmarron sink and Delta Lewiston faucets)

After some internet research that suggested using a circular saw (not useful for anything not straight) or router with a carbide blade or bit we ended up using a Rotozip (a spiral cut saw...sort of like a Dremel on steroids) with a carbide grinding bit. It worked great but WOW what a mess-even with someone right there next to the saw with a shop vac. The new sinks really look fantastic and are a huge improvement. (note-I'm not sure I love the white sink on the somewhat yellowed /off white cultured marble counters but it doesn't look as bad as I feared).

Just for some context, here's a partial photo of the master bath involved.

Comments (8)