SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tjg911

800 years later and i feel fine, well sorta

TJG911
16 years ago

my pc is 7 days old. yesterday the year in my pc (vista home premium) was 2008 but this morning it was 2808, yes you read that correctly 2 8 0 8!!! the month and day were correct. this caused huge problems opening/launching any software as the security certificates were, well, out of date! i could not accept or ignore this problem and was unable to do anything. i had to reset the year 91 years, 1 month at a time, it took 5-6 minutes.

question 1 - any idea how the year was advanced by 800 years? is this a common problem? anyone hear of this ever?

question 2 - i spent an hour trying to figure out how to change the year reading menus and trying stuff but only by going 1 month at a time could i reset the year. thankfully vista only allows a year of 2099 so i did not have to start at 2808. why vista goes to 2099 is beyond me, anyone think vista will be running in 2015? HA! so is there any way to change the year in like 2-3 seconds like i can with the hours or minutes or seconds?

question 3 - there appears to be an internet time sync option that gets the time from any one of several sources. this is supposed to keep your date/time correct. silly huh? oh, just off by 800 years! so in control panel, date time icon, there's a tab called internet time. there's a check box called "synchronize with an internet time server" and the choices are "time.windows.com" or "time.nist.gov" or "time-nw.nist.gov" or "time-a.nist.gov" or "time-b.nist.gov" . any idea which is best? due to the problem i unchecked the box so no sync occurs. is it better to just not sync with any web site?

any ideas?

thanks,

tom

Comments (9)