SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peasblog

Capital Connoisseurian, one year (almost) later...

peasblog
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I thought I would post my thoughts on my Capital now that I'm almost a year into using it/having it. I'm about a month away so close enough.
Before reading this there are two things to consider- I have no experience with other "high end" ranges, and two- I'm not a professional, I'm a home cook.

Wait, one more thing, I am NOT an english/grammar major.

We went with the 48 inch dual fuel, self cleaning. Six open burners and a grill on top.
I went with the dual fuel because it has a slightly taller oven and some reviews had said the other ovens were shorter and would scorch food when on broiler. No issues with broiling. We went with open burners because I wanted the higher BTUs for wok cooking. I've been pleased with that, I'm actually able to get a blister on my green beans!

what it looks like in the space -

Thoughts on the ovens.

-all glass on the top and bottom, none of the heating elements are exposed (electric ovens, gas cook top). It's very easy to wipe them down when needed and there's no wiping around parts. there is still a convection fan in both ovens so it's not completely enclosed in glass, but cleaning has been easy. I think I have used the self clean once, on the smaller oven. A note on that- you can only self clean one oven at a time.

-The smaller oven on the left gets used the most, I can fit quarter sheets in there just fine and I've used three sheets in there to bake cookies with the convection feature. No uneven heating that I have noticed.

-The larger oven is a great size and I do use them both.They don't heat up the house or anything like our last oven did. Both ovens have a fan that kicks on to help cool it down (this is one of my DH's complaints, he feels this fan is ridiculously loud- I don't know that it is, it doesn't bother me, It's not louder than our vent hood on high)

-These are the oven modes -Bake, Delicate Bake, Broil, Roast, Perfect Convection, Self-Clean, Moist, Convection, Meat Probe- I have used them all but Delicate bake, and moist. The rotisserie, I was hesitant to use because I don't like to make more work for myself and I didn't want to scrub the oven afterwards. Turns out I didn't have to, I did wipe it down a little while it was warm but I had envisioned a huge mess of splattered grease and meat juices everywhere. Apparently that's not how rotisseries work. I love the rotisserie.

- One thing that could be annoying is the large oven preheats with convection. Which makes it faster but it also means that you can't put anything in there as far as food until the oven is preheated. Or the fan will kick on really high and preheat the oven and everything in it to 350 degrees. So starting food off in a cold oven doesn't work ( there might be a way around it and I haven't figured it out, if anyone knows of a trick to this please let me know)
- No issues with opening the oven door to stir potatoes, flip chicken, baste something. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to open the ovens without the convection fan kicking in, something I read on these forums. I might have not understood that correctly.

- The racks are on a rolling system. I like them, I haven't had them catch or be hard to remove or roll. They are thick stainless steel. I did have an issue with them sliding out when I opened my oven doors when we first moved it, turned out the builder didn't level the range. The racks aren't hard to clean but I do wish I could leave them in there with the self clean option on, but that's a no go.

Oven pictures or food from the oven (the prime rib was done in a cast iron in the oven on regular bake, not moist)

Stove top-

- Surprisingly this has been easy to clean. The grates are heavy but everything comes off easily and fits back on nicely. I can take it apart and clean every inch.

- I had an issue with my open burners. I took a soft (we're talking toothbrush soft) brush to clean them and the paint was flaking off. I contacted Capital and they sent me new ones. They also asked me not to clean them with brushes and to put them in the dishwasher. I haven't done that. I'm not convinced a trip through the dishwasher would be good for the burners, if my toothbrush wasn't good for them.

- There is one burner for smaller pots and pans. I was concerned that all my cooking would have to be done on this burner because several people said ranges like this have huge flames and you can't really control them. That has not been the case. My smaller saucepans require the smaller burner but everything else from frying pans to dutch ovens I've used the regular burners. But oddly enough I do prefer that burner.

- The heat is incredibly high which is wonderful but the simmer is awesome. They call it true simmer and it's perfect. I can leave a pot with cinnamon sticks and cloves on there and it doesn't burn, sauces don't burn. When I say pot I mean my 0.5qt TINY soup bowl/pot from all clad.

- The grill. heavy cast iron grates, but they haven't been hard to clean. Just a little elbow grease. Underneath the grill has some parts that are harder to clean but not impossible. I haven't used the grill much because I like things to be spotless and it does take time to get it back to that state. If you aren't.... particular, then it's not an issue.

- Drip trays are so smart and they just pull out to either be removed for cleaning or to be wiped up.

Overall-

-It's heavy. I don't ever plan on moving it, but it's heavy.

-The knobs are like most pro style ranges it's very easy to lean over and they will turn. Either on or at least start clicking if you lean on them. They have an auto ignition. It's potentially dangerous with little ones or pets. There are safety knobs but it's worth mentioning
- our range is all stainless steel (no color) it's been easy to keep clean, it isn't a special no fingerprint finish that I know of. It doesn't matter it shows just as many fingerprints as the brush finish on the fridge.

- Installation. This may be a county/city rule for here but they wouldn't install the range without cement board behind it or a backsplash that went from the top of the range down to the floor. I spoke with the folks at Capital a couple times about this and they said it was unnecessary to have this rule. But code here required there be nothing flammable behind the stove such as drywall. This makes sense for above the cooking area but behind I don't know.

- I have called customer service four times. Once because my front right burner wouldn't ignite when we moved in. They sent someone out right away, it was a quick fix, whatever it was. (Customer service in California called the dealer here) The second time I noticed that the cooling fan on the big oven would stay on for a good hour. Turns out the installers/builder didn't level the stove during install and the door was not closing all the way. The third time was the burner issue which they just sent replacements for. Fourth time, the meat probe broke off at the end where you plug it into the stove the first time I used it. I just called and let them know what happened, they shipped me out a new one the next day.
They seem to be very helpful and knowledgeable. I purchased locally.

overall I am very very pleased with the stove. If I had to choose all over again I would make the same decision, there hasn't been a range that's boasted a new feature, a different feature, or anything that I would want to try.
we looked at wolf, viking, blue star, thermador, we looked at induction cook tops. But I can honestly say that I'm very happy with my stove. If I were purchasing again, or when I purchase again I would choose the same range if I could. I'll be sad to leave whenever we are called to move, thanks Army.

Comments (18)