SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trilobite_gw

Tear-down, addition, separate house? (complicated)

trilobite
12 years ago

Hi,

I have a situation which can't be answered by an online forum, but I was hoping to pick your collective brains a bit.

My parents own a beautiful piece of property and they're open to us building on it.

Their house already on the property is in massive need of repair. It's tiny, was built in the 1950s and they haven't really done any maintenance on it for thirty years because maintenance costs money and they hate to spend money.

Now, they're starting to realize that something needs to be done before the roof caves in or something. And a logical time to do this would probably be in addition to new construction. But everything in this house needs to be replaced, I mean everything.

Would you press them to do a tear-down? Massive re-work and do the new construction (and new house) as an addition? Build a separate house and repair their house separately?

Some complicating bits, the original house was built by my grandfather so there is massive sentiment (and some beautiful woodwork and a custom built fireplace). But trust me when I say everything is in really really rough shape and it gives me absolutely no pleasure to say that.

I think my mother would cheerfully let the whole thing rot around her ears rather than change anything, and honestly, it's a bit tempting to just let it go. OTOH if left to his own devices, my father will probably do some hare-brained re-muddling and I don't like to think of that or of him on a ladder.

Thoughts?

Comments (10)