SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tkln

Newbie Q re Building Loans

tkln
15 years ago

Hi everyone...wondering if anyone can shed some light on building loans and how this all works.

We currently live in NYC and are planning on moving out of state and are thinking of building new. We own a small condo in Vermont, and are considering moving into the same town permanently.

We would need a loan to buy the land and also to build...seems that you would need to know how much money you need when applying for the loan, but how do you make the determination of how much that is if you don't have land (and therefore, a house plan)?

While I can have a general idea of how much the land will cost, I don't know what exposure it will have, whether it will be sloped or not, etc...and then we would need to tailor the house to the land...I've spoken to a few lenders, and they all are okay with purchasing the land with the loan, but they obviously need a hard number for the actual loan.

While we will be selling our home, and could theoretically use that money to buy the land, I don't want to end up with a sold house and no where to go if we don't find a suitable lot. I would rather find a lot, and then go from there.

I'm sorry if this is a fairly obvious question to some of you, I'm totally clueless about this process...thanks!!!

Comments (9)