SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jnjmom_gw

1st Time Self-Contracting -- modified FB Ambrose/Sullivan

jnjmom
15 years ago

I have been lurking here for a short time and have found this to be a very informative and helpful forum. My husband and I are almost ready to break ground on our new home which is a mixture of the two Frank Betz plans - the Ambrose and the Sullivan (basically its the Sullivan with a bigger breakfast area or the Ambrose without the sunroom/keeping room). I'm going to try to figure out how to post photos and I'll insert the plans.

We have not been through the building process before, but after having several friends who have in the last year, my DH has decided to go the route of self-contracting. Fortunately, we have a relatively good list of well recommended subs from our friends. My main concern about self-contracting is the little details. Like I'm afraid I will leave out something really obvious that a builder would automatically know that I just didn't think of. Of course, tell anyone you are self-contracting and they have at least 17 horror stories for you!!

Anyway, I have several questions that I will post individually but I wanted to start a thread to post pics throughout the process.

Comments (13)

• mmike032
    15 years ago

Good luck, hope you have a clue about the building process. If you dont you are going piss off alot of the subs.
    Theres a reason GCs get paid for what they do. The good ones keep the job running smoothly, have the RIGHT materials ordered and delivered on time, catch small problems before they become a big problems, make sure everything is up to code,schedule subs so that they're not tripping over each other trying to get their job done, etc, etc............

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

Having refered subs is great, but as mmike states, it's all about scheduling and communication. Your first start is to get familiar with your local areas requirements concerning permitting, inspections, basically their m.o. Most inspections are done in an order mandated by the building dept, so it's important to know when to schedule these inspections. Talk to your building dept. and i would have extensive talks with your friends to find out the troubles they might have experienced on their builds which could save you some headaches down the road. Get involved in the building process and how it is done in your area. Ask questions, do your research and homework long before breaking ground, know when to schedule subs and inspections, and again, talk extensively with your friends. Diving in head first without knowing how deep the water is can hurt your head!

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

Meant to give you this link:

Here is a link that might be useful: owner-builder

• jnjmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I'll be the first to tell you that I am very ignorant of the building process :o). But, fortunately, my husband isn't. Although green, he's been doing research 'off and on' for a couple of years and very much so 'on' in the last six months. We also did a complete home remodel in the house we just sold - while we lived there!! What an education! We did not GC that project, but it was a nice tiny springboard to this (or so we think). DH is an engineer by trade so he actually enjoys the details. I am also trying to educate myself about the hammer and nail portion of building (though seriously uninteresting). I am much more intrigued by the 'inside' lipstick portion of building :o).

The subs we have lined up have been much easier to work with than we anticipated (that being everyone's first horror story they give you) -- now I'll confirm or deny that statement here in about a month :o). Our framer has been a wealth of information and even told my DH that he was impressed at how much he knew about the building process. He is certainly a good student. There again, his boss is building right now, set to be in by Labor Day, so he has been funneling the 'good' subs our way and has been very helpful in the 1,2,3s of the process.

I appreciate the comments and encouragement, I know that you guys know what you are talking about. Thanks for that link sierraeast - i'll send that to DH pronto!

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

Sounds like you are on track and have some good background. Best of luck! I wasn't assuming you were diving into muddy waters, but i've hurt my head plenty by not investigating but rather assuming certain aspects of our build and it's gottem me into trouble even though i have been in the trades for many years. The building process has been quite a learning lesson for my wife and i and we are having fun/smooth build with a few bumps and bruises along the way, mostly due to my assuming. Sometimes my wife calls me by those first three letters of assume! Here's to a smooth build for you and yours!

• meldy_nva
    15 years ago

That seems to be a good site from sierraeast -- I need to really study it.

Anyway, check out the Delores House even if you never lift a hammer... the pictures are worth their weight in gold.

With thanks to MightyAnvil, who explained how to so that I understood it:

To post a photo:

go to http://tinypic.com (it's free and no sign up is required)

select "browse" and go find your jpg, png, gif, or tif photo file and select it (it will be automatically downsized to 250K)

select the "upload" button

Click once on the "HTML for websites" window (it is automatically copied) then paste it into the text part of your message.

Now preview your message. If you can see the photo, submit the message.

If you are unsure of yourself try all of this first at the test forum which is linked at the bottom of the main forum page. You might have to play with the dimensions of the original photo to keep the downloaded version from being too large since that sometimes stretches the text of all messages to the right (possibly off most screens)

It is also possible to copy the contents of the URL window and to then paste it into the "Optional Link URL" box. You must also type a description in the "Name of the Link" box.

Here is a link that might be useful: the Delores House

• jnjmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, thanks for the instructions meldy!!

1st Floor:

2nd Floor:

I have made a few minor adjustments to this - like a cabinet pantry instead of drywall, some doors are opposite hand, laundry room to be reconfigured, etc. Also, vaulted ceiling in LR and MBA not shown. Although I am pretty well married to this design, I am open to ideas/suggestions that you all may have!

We are set to break ground next week! Woo hoo!!

• frog_hopper
    15 years ago

You might want to move the dryer to the outside wall. It would be a lot easier to vent, instead of going through the sink cabinet.

Upstairs change one of those colliding bathroom doors to a pocket door. I would change the bedroom door.

I don't know what you would do about the lack of a coat closet near the front door.

• meldy_nva
    15 years ago

I can't resist making a sexist remark: looking at the utility room, do you think a woman designed it? It's not common (although very sensible) to see space allotted for the ironing board,lol!

I agree that a hall closet is needed, but also agree that there is no obvious way to get one...so now's the time to figure out what you are going to do when guests come and it's pouring rain out. You can't tell them to come in via the utility room, but where are dripping raincoats and umbrellas going to be put?

• jnjmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

frog - duh! about the dryer - thanks! I need to sit down and decide where everything is going in that room. I just can't decide where I want everything. As far as a coat closet, I guess I'll be carrying everyone's coats down the hall (or what I did in my old house that had NO coat closet at all - lay them on my bed :o)). We did move the door to the upstairs bath about midway in that wall to avoid the bumps.

Meldy - lol! Actually the draftsman put that in there, but I did like the idea, but it will be moved as well :o) Now, I didn't think about wet coats on my bed, that wouldn't fly - guess we'll hang them on the back of the dining room chairs...lol... Umbrellas they can leave on the covered porch :o)

• frog_hopper
    15 years ago

Just spotted a couple of other items. The dishwasher door will block the left hand under sink door when it is down.

They show a counter depth fridge. A standard fridge will stick out a lot more. Probably not a problem, but I thought I'd mention it.

Lastly, the basement door will at least partially block access to kitchen when it is left standing open.

• jnjmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oooh, froggy, you are good! Going backwards - the basement will not be finished any time soon (unless we win the lottery that we don't play). But I do see how that will eventually get on my nerves, cause I'm 110% positive my kids will NEVER shut that door. Maybe I should put in one of those automatic doors like walmart has at the entrace... :o)

Also, the dishwasher...sigh... That has been something I have thought alot about. 1st of all, it's on the left hand side - I'm right handed. I thought that might be an issue, but we just moved into a rental house and it's on the left here and it's no biggie. BTW, I'd highly recommend this to anyone - I've actually gotten alot of great ideas from this rental that I didn't consider after living in the same house for over 7 years. Now, back to the dishwasher... My trash will be in the cabinet to the right of the sink, so the only thing I will need to access under the sink while the DW is open is the soap -- sooooo, note to self put it on the right side under the sink.

This is sooo helpful! Thanks guys - keep it comin'!!

• frog_hopper
    15 years ago

Oooh, froggy, you are good!

[blush] Why thank you, jnjmom.