SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

Tiling removable tub facing

weedyacres
13 years ago

I've read the posts Bill & Mongo have shared about tiling a secret removable panel on the tub front for plumbing access, and have seen the different options you guys have done.

Mr. Weedy has a customer whose grout on their tub front was cracked. Upon removal, he found the tiler had tiled sheets of plywood and attached them to the framing with 4 magnets each (2 top, 2 bottom), then caulked the edges to hold them in. So the boards had play and the grout cracked. In addition, they hadn't sufficiently framed the tub front: some portions of missing top or bottom plates and too widely spaced vertical studs.

Mr. Weedy added framing, but doesn't want to cut a hole and caulk in a tile. As someone who has done lots of plumbing, he says a small hole is not enough to do any real work, and if he were repairing/replacing down the road he'd want better access. So he wants to screw 1/2" cement board in 4 places to the studs so that it can be removed in one piece. He'd tile the whole thing and grout most, caulking over the screws (leaving instructions to any subsequent owners about how he's hidden them, lol).

He insists the cement board is more rigid than plywood and with the added framing there's no way it'll give and crack the grout again. I've talked until I'm blue in the face about needing to have more than 4 points secured and the fact that the purpose of cement board is water resistance, not rigidity, but he won't bite.

Someone help me explain more precisely so that he won't do a fix that'll end up with cracked grout again.

Comments (5)