SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beckyg75

Shipping bolts left in Bosch for 3 months -angry - what is fair?

beckyg75
12 years ago

After we moved, our brand new Bosch axxis front loading washing machine was making the most horrific noise and walking all over the place (with the new matching dryer stacked on top of it - the dryer would rattle part way off the washer and have to be held on during the spin cycle.)

This was incredibly frustrating - the banging and vibration was so loud and scary and we had a newborn and needed to do laundry almost daily. I would have to put the baby down in the crib, shut the door, and sit by the washer to make sure it didn't "walk" into the wall or that the dryer didn't fall off (it slipped off repeatedly but I would always catch it.) Very aggravating.

I kept telling our GC something was wrong, but he and the architect took a few weeks to get over to have a look. Then the architect said he read online that the front loaders sometimes vibrate a lot more than usual toploaders. I said, "BULL. There is something wrong here."

Finally after a month or so, the GC agreed the vibration was excessive and tried to brace the machine by nailing wood all around it but this just made it bang even louder.

We went back and forth arguing about it and I called Bosch and set up an appointment for service and the technician right away said, "I bet they didn't remove the shipping bolts."

He was correct, and he was pretty appalled that a licensed plumber (that is who installed it) didn't know or forgot to do that. I took photos of the technician removing the bolts and saved them. They are HUGE and hard to miss, and the technician said that as soon as you uncrate the machine, there is a BIG warning notice about removing them.

The Bosch technician also told me that our machine was likely to have been permanently damaged, and that its life may be shorter than usual due to 3 months of abuse (i.e. running it with these bolts in place.)

Problem is, we won't know that until years from now. If the life span is supposed to be 10 years, and it gives out in 5 years, then what?

In light of this, what is fair? We still owe money to the GC (the plumber is his subcontractor, so we don't pay the plumber directly.)

The washing machine cost $1100 approximately. Would you deduct part of it from the final payment?

Thanks for your thoughts. I am so angry about this that I thought it would be good to hear other people's opinions.

Comments (16)