SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberly_ussher

Hiring a general contractor for bath remodel?

SaintPFLA
11 years ago

I would appreciate any advice you can offer. I'm planning on a bathroom model.

I have a 1906 bungalow and ONE bathroom. It's a small bathroom.

The floor is approximately 55 sq feet.

I'm interviewing general contractors now. I've never done a remodel before where I've hired a company. I usually DIY it, but because it's my ONLY bathroom and I also work from home, my thought was to hire someone rather than try to

do this myself.

So far, out of the two companies I've had onsite to provide a quote, only one has responded back with this information. The other company just never responded -- it's been a month. The company that did respond seems very high in price. Much higher than I anticipated for my bathroom remodel. But, they do specialize in historic home remodeling.

As I have never done this before, I need to know what to expect, what I can negotiate on and also, if anyone is able, if the price is in the ballpark of "normal" for my region.

I have an old cast-iron pedestal tub that will be refinished as part of the bid. The existing tub (drop-in cast-iron) will be demo'ed. The subfloor wll have to be replaced (55 sq ft) as there is no floor existing under the current tub. Existing tile demo'ed

The new tile floor will be carerra marble basket-weave (black/white). Wainscotting for the walls and white subway tile for the bath surround.

Keep existing toilet. Replace vanity with a pedestal sink. The pedestal tub will have new fixtures including the shower attachment/curtain and also the 3 handle faucet with hand held shower attachment.

My only 'real' splurge is the floor tile. Everything else is fairly basic IMHO.

The total materials: $3472 (various providers including Lowes)

Labor: $7608

Total cost: $11,080

I'm in Florida. Is this quote normal? Too high? What can I negotiate on?

Thanks for the advice!

Comments (9)