SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clairegs

Kitchen remodel--One stop shop or general contractor?

cgs
last year

Hi, I'm not even sure of the vocabulary I need for this question. I've visited several kitchen and bath stores. They will come measure, do a design and give a quote. They usually ask if I have a general contractor. If not, they have subcontractors they work with to install the cabinets.

So I started looking for a general contractor, but they all tell me they offer "one stop shopping", which means they do the design and I choose cabinets and countertops (and sometimes floors) from their showroom. But unlike the kitchen design shops, they handle all the work, not just cabinet installation

My problem is that instead of just looking for a contractor I like, I'm looking at what brand cabinets they offer and trying to decide if I like them. I'd really just like a contractor to handle coordinating everything, and still be able to choose cabinets from anywhere. For example, one contractor who has great reviews only offers Waypoint cabinets, which have terrible reviews and don't have what I want.

We have some extra work that needs to or may need to be done, such as removing a soffit, repairing our subfloor, etc. So I don't want to just hire a place that does cabinets. I need someone to handle everything. How do I go about this. Should I use a contractor that only sells certain lines, or should I use one that isn't tied to any brands (and if so, how do I find that--what is that called??)

Comments (29)