SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
foodfiend_gardener

?s about choosing a range hood

foodfiend_gardener
10 years ago

I have decided on a 36" Viking range w/ grill and am more than a little confused about what size and brand of range hood to buy.

A website I was looking at recommended to make the range hood 3" larger, on both sides, than the range. One of the salespeople working on this with me said that it's not needed, 36" wide would be fine.

And exhaust power. One salesperson says that I need 1200cfm. Another says that I need 600cfm. According to the product info (http://www.vikingrange.com/consumer/product/products/cooking/freestanding-ranges/professional-series-ranges/custom-gas-sealed-burner-ranges/36--custom-sealed-burner-range---vgcc#product-more-info) with all 4 burners and the grill running at their highest, the output is 935,000 BTU's.

Is there an easy way for me to figure this out?

Also, what brands should I be looking at? Viking is about $2000, but I don't need to have the same brand of hood as range. I like Zephyr, but it's a bit pricey, too. I want an under-cabinet, stainless steel model. I know that I should be more open minded about the price, but I'm trying (rather unsuccessfully) to keep a hold on the total costs.

I did manage to get a nice discount on the Viking range since it is a floor model, but the hood just may negate that totally. :(

And, as I have mentioned on another post, we are unfortunate enough to have dialup internet service, so surfing the different appliance websites is quite difficult and more than a little frustrating. I would appreciate any help or advice!

Comments (12)