SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissastar

stick with my 600 cfm vent or buy bigger?

melissastar
13 years ago

Work is finally starting in earnest on my kitchen remodel and I'll soon have to decide what to do about a range vent/hood. I was fortunate enough a few months ago to purchase at a liquidation auction a 36" Capital gas range (19,000 btus for 4 burners, 1 18,000 BTU grill) and the auctioneer threw in a Proline hood. Even without the hood thrown in, the price on the range was, well...a great deal.

Now, however, I'm worried that the hood/vent isn't sufficient. It's o 36", 600 cfms...clearly not enough if I were to use all burners. But...in my last (working) kitchen I had a similar Viking set up and in 7 years can NEVER remember firing up more than 3 burners or 2 burners and the grill at once. And when I did that, I'm dead certain at least one was on a low simmer. I'm just not the kind of cook that can handle three searing hot pans at once.

The vent run isn't long...perhaps 4 feet, with either two 45 degree angles or a single 90 degree one.

Do I really need to bite the bullet and buy a much higher CFM hood or should I go with my "freebie"?

Comments (13)