SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dad2sethc

Advice Needed: Encounter with copper pipe thief

dad2sethc
16 years ago

During my present build, I have obtained a lot of quality information from this forum. To this end, I would like to extend thanks to all who regularly post and inquire to the same for some advice in dealing with the thug who I encountered this past Saturday. The story goes as follows:

My wife, son and I went to visit our new construction site at approx 2:00 PM in the afternoon. As I was pulling into my make shift driveway, a suspicious man and woman came out of the garage (home is under roof, but not yet secure). To my surprise, the man was carrying a long folded up piece of cardboard and quickly walked around the back of my dumpster. We he appeared from the other side he was no longer carrying anything. I then engaged the man with questions, not yet knowing that he ripped out my already installed copper water pipes. The man attempted to skirt all my questions and quickly jumped in his truck with his significant other. Knowing things were not right, I quickly noted down the licence plate number and vehicle discription. Upon the thugs departure, I then learned about the copper pipe and found it stashed in the dumpster. I then took pictures and filed a police report. The police informed me that the license plate indeed matched the description of the truck and that the case would be passed on to a detective. They also informed me that it could take a couple of weeks before action is taken against the thug. I have also informed my builder, who stated that they would get the plumber back out the home and continue with the construction, figuring out the extra finances at a later time. (This was nice)

Now for the questions:

* Should I file a claim with my home owners insurance (builders risk rider)? I wonder how much my premium will go up with the filing of a claim?

* Should I file charges against the thug? I obviously want to, but am concerned about future retaliation, as he now knows my family and where I will eventially live?

* Should I seek legal direction from a lawyer?

All in all, I feel like I have been kicked in the gut and truly have enough on my plate with the sale of an existing home and the build of anew to adaquately deal with this. To this point, any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Phil

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!