SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kbillings_gw

GE Monogram appliances

kbillings
13 years ago

I want to hear from anyone who OWNS GE monogram appliances and their opinion. Please don't post consumer reports or stats as I have read them. I would like to hear first hand experience.

THANKS!

Comments (16)

• connecticut_resident
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I installed a GE Monogram gas cooktop with grill, hood, convection wall oven, and Advantium microwave about 3 years ago as part of a complete kitchen remodel. I am very happy with the cooktop and hood, and medium happy with the oven and the microwave. Whatever minor problems I have had (one or two that I can't even recall now) were resolved by a prompt service repair, except for one thing that I'll note below:

The cooktop is pretty powerful, I think 17000 BTUs. All four of the grates reverse to accommodate a round-bottomed wok. I've used a wok on the stove a few times, but it doesn't get hot enough to do real wok cooking. Still, it's fun. The grill is a great feature. Doesn't get as hot as an outdoor gas grill, but it's nice to be able to make kebabs in the middle of a snowy winter. Also a good spot to warm bread. You have to turn it on well in advance of grilling (like 20 minutes or more), and make sure to use the hood to vent.

The hood is fine. It has a warming light feature (these red lights) that I tried to use once or twice but didn't seem to do much. I can't stand pointless features.

The wall oven annoys me a bit because it is on the shallow side (loses space to the convection fan on the back wall). Not all of my pans, esp. big round ones like pizza pans, fit. The racks don't slide very smoothly. I've used the Trivection feature a couple of times - it did indeed bake a large potato in something like 17 minutes. I wouldn't miss this feature if it didn't exist. About half a dozen times over the past few years, the oven has simply stopped heating without warning and started losing heat. I would check on my cake or bacon or whatever and realize it wasn't getting done. Then I would have to clear out and re-enter the temperature, and wait for the oven to heat up again. Clearly, this can easily ruin food, especially baked goods. After one of these episodes, it works fine for weeks or months so I've never gotten around to calling service about it. The controls are fairly intuitive - everything is digital. It seems to heat up more quickly than other ovens I have used and when I have used an oven thermometer, it seems the settings are accurate. I've never been able to figure out whether my baked goods are better off in convection mode or bake mode. Either way, there is a definite difference between the top third and the bottom third of the oven - you will have to rotate cookie sheets for even baking. The self cleaning function works very well.

The Advantium is an excellent microwave, but I've never warmed to it as a speed cooker. Cooking meat in it makes a mess that you have to clean up by hand, obliterating the time savings. Also, the controls for the speed cooker are NOT intuitive in the least. You have to look through the preprogrammed food lists for something roughly resembling what you want to make, then make adjustments. I like to cook with fresh ingredients, and it can be dispiriting to go through the menus which are mostly things like frozen fish sticks, tater tots, and refrigerated crescent rolls. I tried using one of GE's recipes to make a cake in it and it came out weird - it didn't brown properly. But again, as a microwave, it's the best one I've ever used - powerful and with easy to use controls, and I like the way the front door opens downward instead of to the side.

Hope this helps.

• cotehele
    13 years ago

The biggest appliance mistake I made was purchasing GE Monogram double ovens. I hate it, and would replace it if I had the money. The temperature drops as much as 50 degrees during baking every time I use it. Service has been out twice finding nothing 'wrong' with the oven. I was told not to call again. So I compensate by resetting the oven temp every 10-15 minutes.

The convection feature, no matter which setting (single or multi rack) does not distribute heat evenly. One rack of cookies has over browned and underdone cookies on the same sheet. Service checked that, too. Nothing 'wrong', don't call again.

I expect to put something in the oven and walk away until it is near being done. With these ovens I dare not leave them unattended. I bake a lot of bread, which needs even and constant temperatures. Obviously, service is non-existent. In fact the service guy said he has lots of calls for service on new ovens, but no one calls us back, so people just don't know how to use a convection oven. Bulls**t. It just does no good to call.

• Related Discussions

GE Monogram Hood Model #ZV750

Q

Comments (2)
    I had a different model GE Monogram hood (ZV800) and it was perfectly fine. It did blow out a halogen bulb once but not a fuse--replacements were easy at Target (!). I wouldn't have a problem buying another Mono hood if they weren't so darned overpriced. If you have a good deal and can get warranty coverage, go for it! (Do check the warranty if it's a private party sale.)
    ...See More

GE Monogram Appliances

Q

Comments (5)
    How timely a thread! I was just cursing at my Monogram piece of **** dishwasher with the third touchpad failure in 3 years. I am trying to decide whether to bite the bullet and order another touchpad (I know how to install them at this point) or get a Miele. It doesn't even clean the dishes on top of it and it never has. The dispenser is always full of detergent (and I use only a TB) and the the dishes are dirty. Plus, my cabinet panel cracked in half because the steam generator in the door was leaking. The tech guy told me to call GE insurance since it was a defect but I don't think I am keeping it so it's not worth the aggravation. However, I LOVE my 3 year old GE Monogram range. But, it was actually a rebranded DCS at that time. It does take a long time to preheat but that's part of the tradeoff with a 36 inch oven I think. They are now made by someone else so I wouldn't buy that again. I think I would go with Wolf or Bluestar in the next remodel. My Monogram compactor (a rebranded Kitchen Aid it turns out) motor failed 3 weeks out of warranty. When I was told the price of the new motor ($800), I freaked out on GE and they actually replaced it for free. Sometimes, freaking out helps. The fact that it is Monogram means you so get slightly better warranties and service when you complain. My Advantium touchpad died also 3 weeks out of warranty too but has been okay for 2 years. I am at the point where I don't know which brand of appliances are actually designed to last. I will likely handwash dishes for a month or two and spring for a Miele. Consumers need to get tougher on these companies. I expect an appliance to last between 7-8 years-I don''t think that is asking a lot. But it seems like 3-5 years is what you get nowadays.
    ...See More

GE Monogram... The worst.

Q

Comments (4)
    I could write a book on how disorganized, deceitful, dysfunctional and disappointing GEMonogram is as a company. How do they go on selling products? I have had my side by side refrigerator replaced twice for free thanks to them determining the fridges were both broken by a GE certified technician and now they are on the third visit to repair the third one! I have lost so much food and time and money on this. Their service guys even know the products are the worst. And last year my duel fuel slide in stove had to be entirely replaced after only 7 years and being very gently used, at a discounted price of 1200.00! after one of THIER service guys broke the Venturi Tube, a tiny 18$ part during a service visit! Do yourself a huge favor and stay away go from anything GEMonogram. They are the worst.
    ...See More

How does GE Monogram Series stack up?

Q

Comments (3)
    Have an all gas monogram 48" range coming next week. I just like the layout and look of it. Doesn't hurt that my local retailer gave me "contractor" pricing and GE is running a promo right now, so free drawer microwave.
    ...See More
  • plllog
    13 years ago

I have the Monogram warming drawer and dishwasher.

The warming drawer is missing one feature--open sides. Otherwise, it has every feature I wanted in a warming drawer. The low temperature is low enough for warming plates and raising dough. The high temperature is high enough for crisping, roasts, big pots. There's a continuous dial in between so that one can make it just a little warmer or cooler. There's a moist/dry shutter. And it takes a custom cabinet panel. There's a freestanding rack for double stacking that covers half the width. It also comes with stainless hot tray containers, which hang on cross bars. I'm really not sure what these are better for than my own pots and dishes, and the nearly 30" wide crossbars are a pain to store if one doesn't want to leave them in (one could leave them, and they wouldn't be that big an issue). Gift horse, please show mouth. No biggie.

Warming drawers are really simplistic, low tech machines. I don't think there are any that work badly. The temperature range is the biggest difference On the Monogram, there's a toggle on/off switch and an on light. I'm pretty sure there's a four hour auto-shutoff and a way to disable that (Sabbath mode), but I haven't used those features.

In use, it does exactly what I want. I'm still learning the right setting for holding without further heating different foods. Love the continuous dial.

The Monogram dishwasher is a more qualified success. I started with the new Viking in-house one, which had brilliant racks, cleaned great, etc., but didn't dry well enough to claim to have heated dry. The Monogram has okay racks, cleans okay and does dry on the correct settings. I chose it because I don't like the Whirlpool (KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, etc.) racks so much I wouldn't have them.

The worst part of the Monogram racks is not enough room for wide sided bowls and containers. The tines on the bottom are too close together, so the rim soups lean forward and the cereal bowls and Pyrex serving bowls don't fit. There are a few "wide" areas in exactly the wrong place that don't hold enough pieces. There are fold down tines both top and bottom, which are good, and flip up accessory shelves on top which are good. The flatware basket has two removable outlying panniers so you can make it as big or small as you need. The tops that hold the flatware apart don't work with my not so flat flatware, but are easily removed. I haven't found a use for the narrow accessory basket yet.

If you put in a dish with a missed piece of food, like a tiny scrap of clingy lettuce, it'll still be there when the cycle is over. Makes cleaning the filter a non-issue, but it makes pre-rinsing necessary. It doesn't really clean anything that's stacked on top of something else like my '90's Whirlpool did. Also, because cereal bowls and glass servers don't really fit in the bottom, they have to go flat in the top. All of this leads to running the machine with a lot less in it.

The good news is that on plastics cycle with added heat and heated dry, everything gets dry other than the expected little bit of water in the depressions on the top of mugs or under the lips of plastic containers. When I first got the machine there was a lot of waterspotting since I don't use rinse aid. It seems to be wearing in, however, and not spotting so much recently. I don't know what the difference is. I never had spots in my two previous machines, with no rinse aid, in this neighborhood, and always had sparkling dishes. It may be that the spots happened when I had too many things in the top rack, and what wasn't cleaning was also what was spotting. Whatever it is, it's gotten better!

Another "feature" of this machine is that if you put too much powder in--that is 2/3 of the tray vs. 1/2, it'll either fling unused powder on the top front dishes, or it'll leave some damp powder turned to paste in the tray. I haven't tried the gel dispenser. I don't like gel. And I don't want to put a bottle of gel in my machine. Creepy.

After the Viking no drying fiasco, I was saying that I just wanted a machine that worked as well as the old Whirlpool, and that would take a panel. That's pretty much what I got, except for not being able to put as much in, even though the capacity is there.

What I do love about the DW is the display panel on top. There's a little gab so that you can bend and see the top display. My cabinetmaker then hid it somewhat because he didn't want to cut more from the panel, so you have to really peer to see it, but it shows the length of the cycle and extras you've chosen, the stage of the cycle it's on (though you pretty much have to memorize the positions because you can't really read the labels when the machine is closed, and a "clean" light that stays lit until you press reset, or open the door all the way for long enough for it to reset itself. Or something like that. Those are also features that my old Whirlpool had that I loved, the cycle progress and clean light.

• plllog
    13 years ago

I forgot. I have the Monogram Advantium, too. Chosen because it was the best looking of all made. I don't think there's a single difference in the works.

It works exactly as described and I like it just fine. The controls are a little weird, but once you learn the ins and outs they work fine (i.e., they stop being annoying when you know what you're doing, but they're not easy for guests to figure out).

It's great for double duty as a conventional oven.

• hellonasty
    13 years ago

plllog, thanks for the Monogram DW review. We have one coming in about 2 weeks or so. This is our first DW ever. I know GE has bad reviews but so does every other DW, so we had to choose something, you know? We are a 2 adult/no children household. We have very little in the way of dishes, no fancy China. And we wanted SS with a straight handle and hidden panel. So we wound up choosing the Monogram. It was difficult for us to make a truly informed decision due to the fact that we've never had a DW before and we didn't know whqat to base our choice on other than does it look good and will the thing clean our dishes! I have no idea how to load or run a dishwasher. I'm completely clueless and kinda of figure I'll be handwashing out of habit! Either that or we'll be running a lot of tiny loads.

Does the Monogram have a quick cycle?

• plllog
    13 years ago

There is a "speed cycle", though I've never used it. You can read about it online by going to the Monogram website and finding the User Manual. It's a bit buried, but you'll find it.

I also don't have a lot of dishes, and chose as much for looks as anything (i.e., took panel).

New dishwashers want you to have a full load with a lot of crockery, pots, flatware and utensils. These, as well as the metal sides, are supposed to hold the heat to increase the efficiency of the unit. This is the principle by which the European models dry their dishes without a heating element (some do have vents to release moisture). They also use rinse aid (surfactant, i.e., soap) to repel water from the surfaces to aid in drying. This is the way the econo dry works on Americian dishwashers as well.

New dishwashers also don't slosh as much in order to be quiet, and use less water than they did (also recirculate, which is good), so they rely on chemicals in the detergent to get things clean, instead of using heat and power.

A lot of people here have had very good success with Finish all in one tabs. They're easy to use (just stick one in the tray), and they're supposed to work very well. I think the Monogram comes with a sample.

I prefer to use 7th Generation power and no rinse aid, which means the machine has to do more of the work. I'm sure if you use the more recommended detergent, et al., you'll have very good success with the machine.

And if you need them, the added heat and heated dry are there for you.

Oh! Loading. The manual looks a bit confusing, but if you just focus on the words and read through, it tells you how best to load for good cleaning. You'll find how your things fit best, and the adjustable tines help a lot. In the top rack, I put glasses on the left, and fold down the tines on the right for prep and cereal bowls. Containers go across the short tines in the middle, with lids on end in the front. Utensils either go on the flip down shelves, or flat in the top rack.

In the bottom rack, cutting boards go on the left side, and the flatware basket on the right. Small plates face center on the right side, large serveware goes along the back, and larger plates on the left side facing center. The "larger bowls" area is fine for cereal bowls, but doesn't hold many. Rim soups don't fit nicely, and tilt forward. They may think they clean better, but that makes them harder to load with anything else.

That's the way I do it, anyway, and it seems to work. You'll figure out the best way for your own dishes.

It's really a fine dishwasher. Not the very best (supposedly, that's Miele), but it should clean your dishes.

Oh! I've heard some not good things about the whole bottle of gel dispenser. I wouldn't advise trying it.

• hellonasty
    13 years ago

Thanks, plllog!! I've been a little nervous. I picked out the major appliances before doing hardcore research... and also, like I already explained, I just don't even really know what to look for in a DW! It's too late for me to change them now... the plans have been built around the exact dimensions and well I just don't have the energy at this point to make any changes. As long as the thing isn't a complete piece of SH*t I'm sure we'll be ok! We shall see ;) I'll keep you posted on our opinions once we start using it!! Hopefully that'll be mid to late Aug.

• lisakk
    13 years ago

I have had the 36" professional rangetop for four years. I have no complaints about it. It looks nice. The burner grates are heavy and easy to shift things around on. It seems to boil a pot of pasta water pretty fast, and it keeps a very low temperature when I need it. I would definitely buy it again if I had to do it over again.

• jerseygirlwa
    13 years ago

Don't know if I'm too late w/ my comment.
    I do have a GE Monogram Double Oven. Very disappointed.
    It takes 30" to preheat & loses temp fast when you open the door. I've called about the time it takes to preheat & I've been told it does take that long. It's noisy, I've had to have hinges replaced & now the seal on the door must have a leak because something dripped in between. In 40 yrs. we've moved & built 5 homes & remodeled one. We NEVER had a bit of a problem w/ any of the Whirlpools in my previous homes . I decided to change in this house because it was a remodel. Sad mistake. Too expensive to change. If I had not had so much luck w/my other ovens I would have thought I was the problem. There are only two of us at home & I've never abused my appliances.

• contemporganic
    13 years ago

Looking for input from anyone who has been using the Monogram oven and/or induction cooktop...feedback, concerns, problems, success stories...:)

• Britt
    13 years ago

I have the Monogram Advantium and the convection wall oven. I love both of them. The Advantium speed cook and convection back features are amazing. We use them almost every day. It's my most expensive appliance and well worth it.

I love the oven too. It works great in all modes and also dehydrates. It was the newest version when I got it and quite large inside. I love the probe and it's really improved the quality of my meat cooking.

Overall they're great. I'm just about the buy the range top with grill for my remodel.

• hellonasty
    13 years ago

Hi plllog:

We've finally used our new Monogram DW a few times and we're loving it! It's quiet, and it cleans really well. No complaints in the 2 or 3 times we've used it. For us, 2 people, no kids, very little dishes, it's perfect.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Excellent!!! I'm glad to hear it's working so well for you! Great of you to report back.

• gayl
    13 years ago

I have had the Monogram wall oven for about 4 or 5 years and I have had no problems with it, and think it does a very good job. I originally used my range oven only, then finally got into the habit of using the Monogram. The convection does a very good job, both for baking and roasting. I have the Profile micro and also have had zero problems with it over the years.

• hellonasty
    13 years ago

and we're still really happy with the Monogram DW. No problems. Everything's clean, every time. All good.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I am late to this party, but know that Cohetele and I both have the newer (ZET2) versions of Monogram dbl ovens and have identical complaints. Also, share the losing temp complaint that Jerseygirlwa has. Mine, however seems to have wonderful build quality, so is very quiet and the doors are good. But it doesn't perform as I'd hoped. Trivection ovens are different, and GE has made them for a long time. The older models of Monogram convection ovens with the 'high hat' convection fan that protruded into the oven, if my memory serves me correctly, were made by Bosch for Monogram, but GE makes all the Monogram ovens now, as far as I know and have heard.

Be aware, also, that DCS used to manufacture Monogram rangetops and ranges and in the last couple years, GE took over their own manufacturing. If it has the 19K burners all with the same power, it's a GE product. If it has burners of different sizes, it's DCS. DCS has always had a good reputation for their burners. I'm not saying the Monogram is now inferior to older models, I just don't know, and do know they're completely different and may have different reliability, etc....You'll just want to make sure you're comparing apples to apples. Best wishes.