SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bishop8_gw

BainUltra review

bishop8
12 years ago

I was going to add to another thread where I had posted some comments on our pending BainUltra installation, but can't seem to find it. Anyway, now that it's up-and-running, I thought I would put my thoughts out in case this helps anyone in the purchasing phase. We purchased a BainUltra Elegancia 6636.

- Nice quality tub. A dealer once mentioned that they effectively sandwich the air tubes between two acrylic shells so the tubes don't dangle, whereas other manufactuers do not. Looking at it, it's a very solid shell and I can see what he meant. Makes for easier installation.

- Great service. When removing the protective film, I noticed a small (1-2mm) chip on the outside rim (quite frankly, my installer could've caused it, I don't know). I wrote an email on late Friday night asking for an acrylic patch kit so I could just fill it in myself. By Sunday night, a CSR wrote back arranging a service call by an acrylic technician to fix it for me. Wow!

- Note -- When I got the tub, the controller wasn't installed. I guess this is for some people who want to install it on the wall instead of the tub deck itself. It caused my plumber some concern cutting into the deck (I absolved him of the liability), but for those still to order maybe you can ask the dealer for them to pre-mount the controls and save yourself a bit of work. Just make sure you know where you want it to go!

- Experience was cool, with caveats. Kids, wife and I certainly enjoyed the tub (not at the same time). Kids thought it was the coolest experience, and certainly beat our previous old 5' standard tub.

-- We got the LEDs which I accept is overpriced, but in terms of total experience it added that extra 'cool' dimension with the lights out. I still think it's worth it.

-- We got the 66" length. In retrospect, I wish we got the 72" (I'm 5'10", wife 5'8"). You *can* do two (easier when you're both facing the same direction), but it's a bit cramped and the extra length would've been nice. My only solace is that with kids it's more likely that the bathing will be solo, and we use less water with a smaller tub.

-- Bubble jets are on the side. I think it would've been better if the jets were on the floor, so it doesn't feel like the action is all on the periphery.

-- I read this before, but didn't pay too much mind to it until now. The bubbles really do make the tub cool down fast, to the point where it actually feels like it's injecting cold water into the tub after 15min. I should take a look in the forums to see if there are any solutions, like adding a heater to the air pump or something. I barely notice the heated backrest, even at full.

This is definitely a quality product and I don't regret getting the tub, but I did previously look at the Toto Clayton (which was half the price and had floor-mounted jets) and I wonder what I would do now if I had to do it over again.

Good luck with your purchase!

Comments (66)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville