SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tabbaldwin

Piers supporting beam in crawl space Q. (x -post bsmts; repair)

tracey_b
14 years ago

How do you find out what the building code was 11 yrs ago (when house was built)? We just had a home inspection done (ordered by our Relo company prior to our selling the house) who noted "undersized pier posts" in his report. It's a small crawl space (the rest is basement) with 3 piers supporting the beam across the midsection of the crawl. The builder used 2, 2x6s to form an "L" shaped post for each pier, placed on concrete.

If this was not acceptable 11 yrs ago, then I guess we have to replace them (with what?). If this WAS acceptable 11 yrs ago, what do we have to do about it now?

Any help, thoughts, ideas, etc. greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• rsc2a
    14 years ago

Either way you don't HAVE to replace them. If it was unacceptable 11 yrs ago, you would want to disclose that to the listing agent. If it was acceptable 11 yrs ago and is no longer acceptable, you would be grandfathered in. The exception to this would be if you planned on doing renovations to the house prior to selling, in which case the AHJ may require you to upgrade the piers.

• tracey_b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, I didn't know about "grandfathering in". However, doesn't help with it being made from wood instead of concrete (to prevent wicking moisture).

After some thought, I'm thinking about leaving those supports and putting in new ones side-by-side with them. Seems easier than worrying about jacking up the beam with a hydraulic lift to take out the old and put in the new. I'll need to find out if this is acceptable....

Thanks.

• alphonse
    14 years ago

Replacing with short steel lallys would be a minor job and completely eliminate termite concerns, if they apply.
    Home inspectors are not usually structural engineers but seem quick to fix something that ain't broke.

• tracey_b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the replies.

I've since learned that there is NO building code in our village (how is that possible--doesn't sound right).

However, I've also learned that the posts have to be as wide as the beams they are supporting. Perhaps if we add 2 more 2x6's to the existing ones to make it a "solid" square block, would that take care of it being termed "undersized"? At this point, I'm just looking to remedy the remarks in the report.

What are "short steel lallys" and where would I find them?

Thanks!

• alphonse
    14 years ago

A Lally or lolly is simply a steel pole with flanges (steel plates) welded on the end. Some versions have elevating screws twixt plate and pole. A local weld shop could make them and possibly install. Accurate measuring and a hydraulic or screw jack are all that's needed.
    Smaller rural areas are only of late adopting codes.
    It would be a good idea to have pressure treated wood between the concrete and post if you are going to scab on additional 2x's but yes, they solve the "problem".