SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samanddrew

Gross problem...regarding hardwoods in the bathroom

samanddrew
15 years ago

We moved into our current home three years ago. The downstairs bathroom has hardwood floors, which at the time we thought was a lovely flooring choice, but not now. We have two boys, ages 4 and 5, who were both potty trained primarily in this bathroom. Needless to say, there were a lot of "misses." In fact, both children still miss quite a lot, especially my youngest, who just turned 4 a few days ago.

Anyway, the bathroom now smells like a gas station bathroom, despite my having to wipe the darn thing down three times a day. I'm thinking of tiling the floor pronto, but a friend of mine told me that even ceramic tile will soak up the "pee smell". Is this true? I wouldn't think so. I know wood is porous and I guess the urine has just soaked through the wood.

Someone PLEASE tell me I can get rid of this smell if I tile it over. btw, I have tried putting rugs down by the toilet, etc. I've given the kids very specific instructions as to how to aime, lol.It's getting better but there are still misses.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH