SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
criticalmass048

Question about XP Re-Install

criticalmass048
15 years ago

When he found out that I was using an old (ancient) 1.3GHz processor, an acquaintance of mine has given me his old computer (twice as fast as mine), and told me all I need to do is pop my old C: drive into it.

I don't want to bug the guy any more than I have already, because I don't want him to feel that his act of generosity to me has now become a chore.

While I feel comfortable exchanging drives, RAM, PCI cards, etc, the one thing that gets me is the SOFTWARE end of it.

I was able to get into the New BIOS screen and change settings accordingly, but when I put my C: drive in the computer and boot, I get the infamous Blue Screen Of Death. I was told it's probably a driver-related issue, and I should re-install Windows.

Call me stupid, lazy, ignorant, whatever you want, but I've NEVER re-installed Windows since the day I got the computer about 7 or 8 years ago. Of course, Windows has patched and patched and patched, but other than that, it's probably got 8 years work of junk in there.

My problem is that I'm LEARY about doing this.

--I don't want to put my C: drive in the new computer, re-install, find out there's some sort of problem with it, and now my "old" computer won't work anymore either, and so I'll be without any!

--I don't want to lose anything else on my C: drive, such as documents, pictures, etc, but yet don't have time to back up 40 gigs onto DVDs.

--I really don't want to lose all my Yahoo Messenger contacts, my Outlook Express contacts, my Firefox settings & bookmarks, etc. I have everything just the way I like it! This is why "just get a new Hard Drive" doesn't appeal to me either!

On the other hand, I hear people that re-install Windows every year or two just to "clean it up" with no problems.

What should I do, and would a re-install erase my entire C: drive, or just the "C:/WINDOWS" folder?

Appreciate the help!

Comments (2)