SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mlo1_gw

Western red cedar shingles...

mlo1
15 years ago

I have no experience with them but am getting ready to buy and install them on our build. Completely judging from the looks, feel, and smell of what I see at the local lumber yards, I have not been impressed.

I recently was made of aware of a company out of Canada called the Teal Group. They manufacture thier private label products. After seeing an installation using thier shingles I was impressed. After more research I learned thier five-x 16" #1 shingles are bundled in 3"-5" widths only. Apparently this is because they are manufactured from the heartwood of the tree. There cost per square is nearly twice what the typical lumber yard red cedar shingle would be.

I would realisticly consider them if I thought there was some value associated with the extra cost. They are gorgeous in thier rough state. My concern is that the narrow widths of the product may add some challenge to the installation process (5" reveal). Can anyone with some experience in cedar shingles elaborate on the possibile benifits of such a product?

I was going to shingle directly to the windows frame with no trim. This was being considered as we have quite a few windows and trimming the exterior of them could look awkward with so many squares/rectangles through-out the structure. Any opinions on such a rationalization or decision?

TIA

Comments (5)