SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cissado

Dishwasher and moderate/hard water question.

cissado
16 years ago

I think my water is 'moderate'. I was told it's between 4 and 8 grains per gallon. My water co says I don't need a water softener. I've only read the 'ppm' description in the operator's manual. Is there a convertion table for this?

I just bought A GE Profile 7900 DW with a Smart Dispense feature. It's supposed to dispense the correct amount of detergent depending on your predetermined and preprogrammed hardness levels.

After reading all 150 posts on the Cascade... thread, I've learned that:

#1 you people are crazy

#2 I should be using the powder instead of the liquids, as most people prefer the cleaning of powders.

I DO like the liquid dispense feature though. Just fill up the container and it auto dispenses for a month or so. I'm pretty lazy, so it's great.

I also learned I've been using way too much detergent. Now I know why my glasses are all filmy/etched(?). I used to just fill up both cups every wash. "More is better" is NOT always the case. People must be cringing... ehhh.

I use Cascade Complete. Which is an enzyme based detergent. GE instructions say don't mix "enzyme" based with "bleach" based detergents. I also have Electrosol brand. I believe that's bleach based. Should I throw it out and just keep using the Cascade Complete?

Comments (9)