SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmhmmgood_gw

question about hard water with instahot

mmhmmgood
12 years ago

to soften or not to soften, that is the question!

Plumber was in today installing my new hot water heater and we were discussing his finishing work to be done later. He suggested we connect the instahot (insinkerator) system to our whole house (salt) water softener or the lime scale buildup will wreck it in +/- 2 years. That was a bit surprising to me and seemed a bit unlikely. I know we have hard water and the scale can build up, but to wreck the thing in 2 years? I don't know. Our city has water with a range of hardness through the year from about 9.5 grains to 13 grains if that helps.

The faucet for the instahot will also have a cold water and I presume the intake for these is from the same plumbing line (there's only one filter for both so...). Both the hot and cold will be used for drinking. I can't say I've spent time tasting softened water but I know it does feel different and have heard it tastes different. I'm a bit of a water snob and need to have tasty drinking water so I'm a bit afraid the taste will mean I (and my family) don't drink it which negates the entire point of having it plumbed next to the sink. I'm also aware of the health implications of softened water but am not particularly concerned about that at this point in time.

My preference is still the original plan: to plumb this faucet with hard water. My questions are these - anyone out there with hard water and an instahot ... how long does it last? Anyone out there soften their drinking water? How does it taste? Maybe I should drink a big glass of water from the one bathroom vanity that has running water at the moment...

Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated!

Comments (9)