SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
honeychurch_gw

buying online vs local dealer

honeychurch
13 years ago

I am planning on purchasing appliances (Thermador 36" FD, Miele DW, Bosch double oven and induction cooktop, Best hood insert, Sharp MW, Waste King disposal) this Saturday from a local appliance store. Never made a purchase on this scale before and I'm a bit nervous. I like the idea of supporting a local business and also the sense of security I feel that if something goes wrong, I know exactly who to call.

However, this is obviously a situation where we would like to get the best deal possible. I have found some crazy low prices on the internet (as much as $800-$1000 off MSRP for some items, no tax/free shipping!), and now that I know I can get it for that price, it will be hard to pay much more.

Is ordering major appliances online risky? What if I have to return something? This seems like it would be a major pain.

If I bring my research into the store to show them the prices I found, how much haggling do you think I can realistically do with them? Is negotiating with appliance salespeople customary?

Even comparing the highest internet prices with the lowest, it looks like I can possibly save over $2000, and I am afraid the local store's prices will be on the higher end, making the savings all the greater...

Sorry if my questions are silly/ignorant, just have no experience with this sort of thing. Thanks for your time!

Comments (18)