SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandi_w_gw

Totally OT: A blue heron & my fish ponds

Sandi_W
16 years ago

I have had fish ponds for over 3 years and have never seen a heron around here. They can spell disaster to a home pond.

One of our neighbors has outside dogs that will bark at anything so I usually don't pay any attention to them. I looked out the window and saw they were barking at my back yard (which they've done before) and then looked out my back windows that face the ponds. AND THERE HE WAS... walking near the edge of the largest pond. I beat on the window and was screaming and he took off. I went running out there and thank goodness I didn't see any signs of damage, but they say once they find a pond they keep coming back. Time to invest in a sprinkler hooked to a motion detector.

The Mel Gibson movie "Signs" is one of my favorite movies and scares me every time I watch it. And I have to say...when I saw that strange gray thing walking in my backyard I was reminded of the aliens in the movie. I've never seen one in real life before and I hope I never see another. Maybe one day I'll find the humor in myself for comparing a heron to an alien, but it won't be today.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH
More Discussions