SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iris_gal

can't find rundll32 error

iris_gal
14 years ago

Going to try to help a friend tomorrow. 5 year old XP media cnt. version desktop. Bought used so no Windows CD. She has no Acronis backup.

When she clicks on any .exe-file desktop icon the dialog box appears asking which program to use. (the same box you get when you try to open a text file without an extension) It does this for Ccleaner, Windows Explorer, etc.

The control panel can be accessed but when she clicks on any icon there, the "can't find rundll32" error box appears.

Booting in safe mode in DOS mode shows rundll32.exe in Windows\system32\ with 33,280 bytes dated 4/13/08.

Booting to last known working configuration didn't help.

She said she uninstalled IE8 five days ago. Will ask if she had normal operation after doing that.

I'm going to copy my XP system's rundll32 file to a flash drive in case hers has a worm. Don't know if the USB can be accessed in safe mode. She has McAfee.

I wonder if removing IE8 has messed things up? I will be unable to answer any responses until getting home to my computer. No available wireless signal at her place for my laptop. Thank you.

Comments (12)